Strawberry & Coconut Waffle Stacks
With Mother’s Day just around the corner, help your family by giving them some recipe inspirations to make to treat you on your special day. This Strawberry & Coconut Waffle stack peaked my interest earlier this year so I tried it a few weekends ago when it snowed and I had some extra time on a Saturday morning due to my kids sports being cancelled. It was delicious! It’s on the sweet side for sure, but mom’s everywhere deserve a little decadence on their special day!
Using a blender to make the waffle mix, you simply combine coconut milk, eggs, oats, baking powder and honey and the strawberries to give the waffles a strawberry flavor. You then combine frozen strawberries and bananas to create an “ice cream” texture to spread between the layers of stacked waffles. Top with a coconut butter sauce and fresh strawberries and you’ll be in heaven.
Check out our other recipes based on sales at Safeway our our From the Kitchen page here.
Strawberry “Ice Cream”
Topping for waffles
1. In a high-powered blender, add coconut milk and eggs, and blend. Then add oats and baking powder, blending again until well-mixed (oats will be chopped, but mixture won’t yet be smooth). Add honey and strawberries, then process until mixture is smooth. Using a spatula, stir in the shaved coconut, gently scraping down the sides as you go.
2. Heat a Belgian waffle maker and give it a light coating nonstick spray or brush it with coconut oil. Pour in 3/4 cup of batter into the middle, close waffle iron and cook 3 1/2 minutes.
3. Remove waffle and repeat for rest of the batter.
4. For the strawberry ice cream, add chunks of frozen banana and strawberries to a food processor. Pulse several times until a mixture the consistency of ice cream forms.
5. For the coconut sauce, heat maple syrup in the microwave for 15 seconds. Stir in coconut butter until smooth.
6. To serve waffles, top each waffle with a small scoop of strawberry ice cream, and a drizzle of coconut sauce, and some freshly chopped strawberries and shaved coconut.
– when making the strawberry ice cream, you may need to add a tablespoon of water or almond milk to encourage the frozen banana and strawberries to break apart faster. Be careful not to add too much, because it will turn into a smoothie! It should be a “soft serve” consistency.
– A good way to keep waffles warm as you wait is to place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and keep them in a 200º oven.
I’ve never seen coconut butter at Safeway, but you can make your own. Follow this Coconut Butter recipe from the Kitchn here.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Follow Super Safeway on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter. Thanks to Safeway for this recipe and image.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. *