Beet & Grapefruit Salad
With the new year, I’m in search of new salad recipes that I can pull together quickly that pack a super-punch nutrition wise and taste great. While kale salads are good, it’s also nice to mix it up a bit and this Beet & Grapefruit Salad topped with pistachio goat cheese from our friends at Safeway is amazing. Both beets and grapefruit are in season in January, so you can feel good about using seasonal and healthy ingredients for this salad. Perfect way to kick off your healthy eating for the year.
Beets are chock-full of essential everyday nutrients like B vitamins, iron, manganese, copper, magnesium, and potassium, and these ruby gems also are a goldmine of health-boosting nutrients that help improve blood pressure, stamina, and make you feel full longer with their fiber content. Grapefruit is rich in nutrients, antioxidants and fiber, making it one of the healthiest citrus fruits you can eat. So the combination of beets and grapefruit make this salad a superfood salad like no other!
Take advantage of great sales on grapefruit and mixed greens at Safeway this week to add this beet and grapefruit salad to your weekly meal plan. See more ideas of what to make with what’s on sale in our From the Kitchen page.
While the recipe calls for the O Organics Baby Beets, you can always purchase fresh beets and cook them yourself. You will need to add about 30 additional minutes to the salad prep time if you do that, but beets are incredibly easy to prepare and you can even enjoy the greens of the beets as part of the salad or as another salad altogether. I like to drizzle extra virgin olive oil and some red wine vinegar and season simply with sea salt and freshly ground pepper when I eat the greens. So good!
To cook beets, you can either roast, steam or boil them. If you peel and cut the beets first, it makes the steaming or boiling process faster so this is what I normally do. I peel and slice into 1 inch rounds then boil for 15 to 20 minutes until tender.
I made this salad over the weekend, and it was really good, my 12 year old loves beets, grapefruit and pistachios, so she was in heaven and even asked if I personalized a salad just for her! Trust me, you will love this!
Beet & Grapefruit Salad
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1 16- ounce package peeled & steamed O Organics® Baby Beets cut into ¼-inch rounds
- 2 medium grapefruits peeled and cut into ½-inch rounds
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1/4 cup pistachios coarsely-chopped
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together. Place mixed greens in the center of a large serving platter. Arrange beets and grapefruit around sides of platter.
- Slice goat cheese into 1/2-inch medallions and coat with pistachios. Place on top of greens. Drizzle with dressing just before serving.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. *