Oven Fried Lemon Chicken Tenders
Homemade chicken tenders are incredibly easy to make. They can be a bit time consuming, but as the old adage goes – good things come to those who wait. I’ve been making homemade chicken tenders for my kids for years and they actually prefer them to any store bought frozen chicken simply because they know that they have real ingredients and the girls enjoy helping in the kitchen to make them. This recipe from Safeway for lemon chicken tenders calls for the chicken to be marinated first in a mixture of soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic and chicken broth. Marinating the chicken before dredging it in flour ensures you get a lemon flavor in every bite. Rather than frying these in the pan, you’ll coat with cooking spray and “fry” in the oven until crisp.
Take advantage of the hot sale on boneless, skinless chicken breasts at Safeway and make this recipe for dinner this week.
Oven Fried Lemon Chicken Tenders
Skip the frozen chicken tenders and make your own at home with a few simple ingredients. Serve as a main dish or as an appetizer.
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 3/4 tsp black pepper divided use
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons minced or crushed garlic
- 1 Tbs canola oil
- 3 Tbs chicken broth
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbs lemon zest grated lemon peel
- 1 chicken or chicken tenders about 1.25 pounds, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour white flour can be substituted
- 1 tsp smoked paprika regular paprika can be substituted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- fresh parsley and lemon slices for garnish optional
1. Combine soy sauce, ½ teaspoon pepper, garlic, oil, broth, lemon juice and lemon zest in a large zip-top bag that you’ve placed in a medium-size bowl. Mix marinade with a spoon then add chicken pieces to the bag and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with foil and coat generously with canola cooking spray.
3. Combine flour, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Piece by piece, remove the chicken from the marinade and coat completely in the flour mixture. Arrange chicken pieces in the prepared baking dish and repeat until all of the chicken pieces are coated with flour and in the baking dish. Reserve the marinade until step 4. Spray the tops of the chicken pieces generously with canola cooking spray.
4. Bake uncovered in center of oven for 20 minutes. Pour reserved marinade (about 1/3 cup) over the chicken and bake until golden and cooked throughout (about 15 minutes). Garnish with sprigs of fresh parsley and/or fresh slices of lemon. Serve with cooked brown rice and vegetables, if desired.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. *