Hunger Is – Make Breakfast Happen So Kids Can Be Hungry For More
Did you know?
- 1 in 5 children in America live in households without consistent access to adequate food
- 10 million children; nearly half of eligible children do not receive free or reduced price school breakfasts
- 3 out of 5 K-8 public school teachers report regularly seeing students coming to school hungry
- 145,000 average Colorado students participate in the School Breakfast Program across 1,401 schools every day.
Can you imagine going to school or work on an empty stomach? How can you be expected to perform at your best when hunger pains consume your thoughts and actions? Throughout the years, I have volunteered in my children’s classrooms and know first-hand the struggles that some kids face with inability to focus and discipline issues. I wonder how many of these kids were just hungry because they didn’t have a proper meal to start the day.
Giving back to others through our savings efforts is something I’m passionate about. It’s a blessing when I’m able to pick up a few extra items to donate to a local food bank or directly to a family in need. The Hunger Is program makes it easy to give back because Safeway will donate money based on purchases you make in the store.
Safeway has partnered with the Entertainment Industry Foundation to launch a national “Hunger Is” campaign to help eradicate childhood hunger in America. This program is designed to raise awareness and raise funds to improve healthy outcomes for hungry children and their families, specifically through expanding breakfast programs. The funds raised through this program will be donated back to local markets through the Safeway 501(c)3 Foundation.
Eating breakfast at school supports health and learning for children. Studies show that students who eat breakfast increase their math and reading scores as well as improve their speed and memory in cognitive tests.
How can you help?
- Purchase participating products at Denver Division Safeway stores in the month of September to help raise money toward childhood hunger programs. There are over 35 brands participating in the program. When you buy a participating product from September 1 – September 30, a minimum of $.10 of each item will be donated up to $1 million. Odds are many items included in the program are already on your shopping list
- You can also donate at the register by adding $1, $3, $5 or any amount you choose to your purchase.
Look in your local Safeway stores for these tags indicating participating products:
- Clear Eyes
- Country Crock
- Earthbound Farm
- Ferrero Rocher
- Marie Callender
- MorningStar Farms
- O Organics
- Peet’s Coffee
- Pepperidge Farms Goldfish
- Sparkling Ice
- Suave Hair Care and Suave Kids
Read more about the Hunger Is Campaign at http://safeway.com/hungerisus and support this worthwhile program to help eradicate childhood hunger today. Let’s make breakfast happen so kids can be hungry for more!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Safeway & Hunger Is. The opinions and text are all mine.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. *