Safeway At-Home COVID-19 Test Kit
With COVID numbers on the rise again across the country, you can get an at-home COVID-19 Test Kit from your local Safeway pharmacy. Skip the long lines at the testing drive-thru centers and safely take a COVID-19 test from the comfort of your home.
This new test kit replaces the previous kit that Safeway had where you used a saliva sample and put it in the mail. The new nasal swab COVID test kit is made by Abbot Labs and is the same test kit that schools will be using to test for COVID as I understand from the Colorado Health Department.
I recently purchased a test kit when my son came home from school sick with a cough, aches, and a fever. As my husband has just started traveling for work again, I needed to know right away if we had a COVID case and if we needed to quarantine.
I stopped by my local Safeway pharmacy and picked up the test kit and it was super easy to administer myself. After 15 minutes – I had the results and luckily it was negative – phew!
The kit comes with 2 tests so you can repeat the test the following day to be sure. The test kit features 2 nasal swabs, droppers with a solution, and 2 test strips.
Who Should Get Tested?
Individuals who may have been exposed to COVID-19 through:
- Living or working in a place where people reside, meet, or gather in close proximity (office buildings, schools, healthcare facilities, etc.)
- Close contact (within 6 ft) with someone who is sick or diagnosed with COVID-19
Individuals who are experiencing mild symptoms including:
- A fever between 100.4 degrees F and 102 degrees F
- Flu-like symptoms (chills, runny or stuffy nose, whole body aches, a headache, and/or feeling tired)
- A new loss of taste or smell
- A new or worsening cough or sore throat
- Shortness of breath that is not limiting the ability to speak
The test is also perfect if you need to have a COVID test before travel.
How At-Home COVID Test Works:
Step 1: Get The Test
Stop by your local Safeway pharmacy to pick up the Abbot BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Antigen Self Test Kit. It costs $23.99 for 2 tests in the package.
Step 2: Prepare the Test and Perform the Nasal Swab
Follow the simple instructions in the kit to collect your nasal swab sample. Use the test kit dropper and test strip to determine if the COVID Antigen is present.
Step 3: Wait 15 Minutes for Results
Results will be visible through the test strip in 15 minutes. 2 pink lines = positive antigen, 1 pink line = negative antigen.
At Home COVID Test Kit Cost
The kit costs $23.99 for one package which contains 2 test strips and nasal swabs.
Currently, Safeway is unable to bill insurance directly for this test; all payments will be out of pocket for the purchase of the test. You may be able to submit your receipt to your insurance company for reimbursement – but you will need to contact your insurance to inquire.
Check out the additional services available at your local Safeway pharmacy:
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*