Cheesy Poblano Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe
No more boring chicken – bring on the flavor with this Cheesy Poblano Stuffed Chicken Breast recipe that you prepare on the grill! If ever there was a perfect food pairing, it would have to be poblano peppers (or Hatch chiles), pepper jack cheese and chicken. This Cheesy Poblano Pepper Stuffed Chicken breast recipe is my family’s new favorite meal! I’m so lucky that my kids like spicy food because between my husband and I we LOVE spice and heat in our food. Poblanos are really not that spicy, but they do have the perfect kick to flavor plain boring chicken.
You can easily substitute Hatch green chiles for the poblano’s. The New Mexico Hatch Green Chiles are in season now!
You start by roasting the poblano pepper. If you have not roasted a spicy pepper before, here’s a quick overview of three ways to do it:
No matter which way you go, start with clean, dry peppers or chilies.
- To roast the peppers under the oven broiler, heat the peppers under a broiler until the tops are blackened and blistered, about 5 minutes.
- To roast the peppers in the oven, bake in a 500-degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the skins are blackened and blistered, turning occasionally to promote even roasting.
- To roast chilies over an open flame, prop chilies directly over an open gas flame. Using tongs, turn the chilies occasionally until all sides are blackened and blistered.
Once the pepper is roasted, you want to peel it and remove the seeds. Set it aside while you make the filling for the cheesy poblano stuffed chicken.
To make the filling, you combine olive oil, garlic, and the spinach in a saute pan until the spinach is wilted and all the flavors are incorporated. You then butterfly a chicken breast, without cutting it all the way through. Add the garlic spinach mixture, the roasted poblano pepper, and the pepper jack cheese and fold it in half and tie with butcher’s twine so that it does not open while grilling. I tied each breast in two places to be sure I didn’t lose my filling. Grill until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted. Delicious!
Take advantage of the HOT buy one get one free deal on Red Bird Farms Chicken at Safeway to make this recipe for dinner this week.
Cheesy Poblano Stuffed Chicken Breast
A savory cheesy poblano and pepper jack stuffed chicken breast with garlic and spinach that is grilled to perfection!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pinch kosher salt plus additional for seasoning exterior prior to grilling
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper plus additional for seasoning exterior prior to grilling
- 2 Tbs olive oil plus added oil for brushing chicken before grilling
- butcher’s twine for tying
- aluminum foil optional for grilling
Garlic-Spinach Poblano Pepper Stuffing:
- 1 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cup baby spinach
- 1 roasted poblano pepper peeled and cut into strips
- 2 slices pepper jack cheese
Heat a large sauté pan and melt butter, add garlic and sauté until golden in color, add spinach and allow to wilt, then season with salt and pepper. Remove garlic-spinach pepper stuffing from sauté pan and allow to cool for 15-20 minutes.
Butterfly chicken breast, opening it up into 2-3 folds. Season with salt and pepper.
Layer the following ingredients in the chicken breast (in order): pepper jack cheese, roasted pepper and sautéed garlic-spinach pepper stuffing. Then, fold and tie with butcher’s twine.
Brush roll-tied chicken breast with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
Heat grill to medium-high and spray grates with non-stick spray (or brush with oil).
Place stuffed chicken breast on hot grill. Grill for 1 ½ minutes, pick up and turn 90 degrees to create grill cross marks. Grill chicken breast for another 1 ½ minutes, turn over and then cover grill. Cook covered for 10-12 minutes. Pro Tip: If the twine is becoming charred, place chicken breast on sheet of aluminum foil and continue cooking until internal temperature reaches 165°.
Remove from grill and allow to rest 4-5 minutes, remove twine and serve.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we post a preview of the Safeway weekly ad and we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. We also highlight the best month long deals from the Safeway Big Book of Savings. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and coupon doubling policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*