Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes
Fall and pumpkin go hand in hand. Whether you are enjoying homemade pumpkin spice lattes, or these fluffy pumpkin pancakes, you can never really over indulge on pumpkin in my opinion. These pumpkin pancakes are made with buttermilk, which helps keep them incredibly moist, and real pumpkin puree along with all the delicious seasonal pumpkin pie spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, and ginger. Make up a batch of these delicious fluffy pumpkin pancakes this weekend.
This recipe definitely makes tall pancakes from the baking powder. If you like a more flat pancake, you can reduce the baking powder by half, but I like to have fluffy, airy pancakes.
How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Pancakes:
Making homemade pancakes is incredibly easy. You likely have everything you need on hand in your pantry. Simply combine the wet ingredients like the pumpkin, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients of flour, baking powder and sugar. Mix and wet and dry ingredients together and stir just to combine. You don’t want to overmix, otherwise your pancakes will be too dense.
I always do a test pancake on the griddle to make sure the heat is perfect – cook for a few minutes on each side.
Optional add-in – I originally make these with pecans on the top, BUT in my 2nd batch, I added a 1/3 cup of chopped pecans and that is the way to go – if you like pecans, chop and add them to the mix when you combine the wet and dry ingredients. They get slightly toasted while the pancakes are cooking and make for an amazing and delicious pancake!
Save some pecans for the topping and serve with real maple syrup.
Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes
- 2 cups buttermilk or 2 tablespoons vinegar + enough whole milk, 2% milk, or unsweetened almond milk to equal 2 cups
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt or table salt
- Chopped Pecans, Butter and maple syrup for serving
- To a large bowl, add the buttermilk. If using the vinegar plus milk option, let sit for about 10 minutes to allow the milk to turn to buttermilk.
- Add the pumpkin, eggs, butter, and vanilla and stir with a whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- Pour the dry ingredients over the wet and mix just until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Let batter rest for about 5 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick griddle to 325 degrees.
- Using a 1/3 cup pour the batter onto the griddle .
- The pancakes are ready to flip when they look a little dry around the edges and start to form little bubbles, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until golden brown and completely cooked through, 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Serve topped with butter, chopped pecans and maple syrup
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*