Homemade Green Chile Breakfast Burritos Recipe
These make-ahead Green Chile Breakfast Burritos are the perfect heat and eat option that will keep you and your family full and happy for breakfast on busy weekday mornings. You can even freeze them and reheat in the microwave for a simple full protein breakfast.
Use the $5 Extreme Value Deal to save on eggs, sausage, fresh fruit and orange juice at Safeway this week!
My family loves breakfast burritos. In fact, this is one meal that we can have on repeat that no one complains about.
As a mom, I love breakfast burritos because the kids can reheat them on their own, which is one less meal I have to prepare. We make a large batch of breakfast burritos every weekend and serve them for breakfast, lunch or dinner throughout the week.
With the kids at home for the summer, they haven’t wanted to eat sandwiches for lunch. Since they are at home, they feel like they should have a home-cooked meal every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 😐
So NOT happening!
While I love to cook, making 3 meals a day for 5 is impossible because I’m trying to work while managing homeschool and maintaining my sanity.
That’s why these breakfast burritos are perfect!
You can choose whatever fillings you like, make a big batch of burritos ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator and the kids can heat them up in one minute in the microwave. We used to buy a box of the evol burritos at Costco, but those literally disappear in 3 days in my household, so I came up with a recipe to make a large batch of homemade breakfast burritos every Saturday morning.
Ingredients in Green Chile Breakfast Burritos
- Canned Green Chiles
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Hash Browns
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Green Chile Breakfast Burritos
I mentioned this is a weekend project and that’s because I use up to 3 pans and my griddle to assemble the breakfast burritos. That’s definitely not in my weekday cleanup tolerance.
Making breakfast burritos is super easy, you just need a few simple ingredients and about 30 minutes of time to make 8 burritos.
I use the Simply Potatoes spicy hash browns because we all like a little kick of heat in our breakfast burritos.
Prepare the potatoes per the package directions.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sour cream and add the can of diced green chiles.
In a separate non-stick skillet, heat the pan and add the egg mixture to make the scrambled eggs with green chiles.
If adding meat, then I use a third skillet to cook the sausage or bacon, then crumble or chop the bacon into little pieces.
Once the eggs, potatoes and meat are all cooked through, it’s assembly time.
If you want evenly distributed egg, meat and potatoes in your burritos, then I suggest you combine all three ingredients into one pan and mix to incorporate. Top with shredded cheese so that it is gooey and melted.
Assemble the Burritos
Assemble the burritos by layering the cooked hash browns in a warmed tortilla, followed by the green chile eggs, then a sprinkling of shredded cheese.
Roll the sides in, then push the mix down to roll the burrito. This step might take a few tries to get them perfectly rolled, but you’ll get the hang of it.
I did find that heating the stack of tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds with a damp paper towel just before I filled and rolled the burritos was the key to malleable tortillas that don’t break while rolling.
Seal the Burritos
The last step is the most important in my opinion, you need to seal the burritos. I place the filled and rolled burritos on a baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes on 350 degrees with the seam side down. This extra step seals the burritos and ensures that none of the filling falls out.
You can also pan sear each burrito individually to create the closed seam, but in the time it took to cook them in the oven, I was able to clean the two pans I used for the filling.
Wrap the cooled burritos in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator if you are eating them within the week, or place in the freezer for a perfect make-ahead breakfast or lunch that you can just heat and eat.
How to Freeze Breakfast Burritos
Wrap in plastic wrap, then wrap in foil to prevent freezer burn.
To heat, simply place in the microwave for 1 – 2 minutes.
Green Chile Breakfast Burritos
- 8 large eggs
- 20 oz shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 oz shredded cheese
- 9 oz diced green chiles
- 3/4 cup sour cream full fat is best
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 6 inch flour tortillas
- Prepare the shredded hash browns in oil per package directions
- Combine diced green chiles with eggs and sour cream and whisk vigorously to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Then add to heated skillet and cook until eggs are scrambled, stirring frequently.
- When the eggs and hash browns are ready, heat flour tortillas for 30 seconds in the microwave.
- For equally distributed eggs and potatoes, mix the potatoes in with the eggs and top with the shredded cheese so that it melts and binds everything together.
- Begin assembling breakfast burritos by layering hash browns, the scrambled green chile eggs and top with shredded cheese. Place the mixtures in the center of the tortilla, then fold the sides in first, then with your thumb, roll up from the bottom, while keeping the filling in the center. Fold-down the top of the tortilla to complete the burrito.
- Seal the burrito seam by heating the burritos for 5-6 minutes on a griddle until the seam is golden brown and sealed.
- Eat immediately, or wrap cooled burritos in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave for 1.5 minutes. If freezing for later use, then also wrap in foil and you'll cook for 2 minutes from frozen. I like to wrap the burritos in a paper towel while microwaving, which captures excess moisture released and also keeps the tortilla moist.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*