Here is my meal plan of 5 meals for the week based on sales and deals at Safeway. I have five people in my family – so I divided each meal total by 5 so you can see the cost per person. Each of these five meals is under $5 per person per day with the average cost of $3.27 per person per day. I definitely splurged this week because of the steak, but my kids LOVE steak, so when it’s on sale for under $5/lb. I just have to make it!
I am a firm believer in meal planning and feel that this is THE easiest way to save money on groceries. Not only does it help you get dinner on the table faster, you are always prepared with ingredients on hand for your weekly meals, avoiding last minute trips to the store. I also try to incorporate organic and natural ingredients where I can, but you can save a little more if this is not important to you.
Monday: Greek-Style Ground Turkey Burgers with Orzo Pasta
- Burgers: Use 2 packages of Jennie-O ground turkey, 1/2 cup of feta cheese, fresh spinach, 1 egg, chopped onion (mix together, form patties and cook burgers in grill pan 6 min per side)
- Orzo pasta salad – 1 package of Barilla Orzo pasta from my pantry ($1.00), 2 cups chopped mini bell peppers on sale for $1.99, kalamata olives from my pantry and 1/2 cup chopped onions
- Bought – 1 pound of fresh spinach for $1.29/lb, Safeway Signature Feta Cheese – $2.99/cup, 2 packs of Jennie-O ground turkey for $3.34 each with coupon, 3 lb bag of onions for $1.99
- Also used 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt ($1.00) mixed with fresh dill ($2.00) as the topping for the burgers. If you don’t want to make the orzo, serve with Ore-Ida fries that you picked up for just $.67
- Total Cost $13.95 or $2.79 per person
Tuesday: Tortellini with pesto chicken and caprese salad
- Rana Tortellini with chicken breasts, Rana Pesto, vine tomatoes, fresh basil and Galbani Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- Bought: Rana Tortellini 22 oz Family Size package for $5.49 after Just for U Coupon, Rana Pesto Sauce for $1.99, Vine Ripe Tomatoes for $1.99/lb, Fresh Mozzarella for $1.49 with coupon, fresh basil for $2.00 and 3 lbs of chicken of $8.97. (The 12 oz bags of Rana Tortellini are $3.99, but it’s just not enough food for the 5 of us)
- From my pantry, salt, pepper, olive oil
- Total Cost: $19.94 or $3.98 per person
Wednesday: NY Strip Steak with Grilled Sweet Corn and Pasta Salad
- Bought 4 NY Strip Steaks at $4.99/lb. which cost $19.96, 1 box of Suddenly Salad for $.75 per box, and 4 ears of fresh corn for $2.99 and Tajin Seasoning for $.99 with coupon (for the corn)
- Use Betty Crocker Suddenly Salad – $.75 per box after sale and coupon
- From my pantry – black olives, olive oil, salt & pepper, butter
- Total Cost: $24.69 for a steak dinner for 5 or $4.93 per person
Thursday: Oven Roasted Pork Loin with Roasted Red Potatoes and Roasted Organic Butternut Squash
- Bought Pork Loin at $1.99/lb. I bought a 4 lb loin for $7.96, 3 pounds of Red Potatoes for $.79/lb. or $2.37, 1 package of Earthbound Farms frozen organic butternut squash for $1.99 after Just for U Coupon
- From my pantry used salt, pepper, olive oil, Greek Seasoning
- Total Cost: $12.32 or $2.46 per person
Friday: Signature Select Pizzas with Earthbound Farm Organic Salad and DeLallo Salad Toppings
Total Cost for 5 meals was $81.39 or $16.27 per person for the week, or $3.25 per meal, per person
I am also buying the following list of items for kids lunches, desserts, breakfasts, etc.
- FREE Horizon Mac & Cheese
- Grapes at $1.29/lb.
- Strawberries at $2.50
- General Mills Cereals for $.49 – $.99 each with coupons
- Vine ripe tomatoes at $1.99/lb.
- Organic apples at $1.99/lb.
- Signature Kitchens Cookies for $.67
- 3 lb bag of onions for $1.99
- Hormel Natural Choice Lunchmeat for $1.99 after coupon
- Yoplait Go-Gurts – just $1.25 each after sale and General Mills Catalina
- Annie’s Organic Bunny Crackers – jut $1.25 after the General Mills Catalina
- Yoplait Yogurt Cups for just $.18
Here are all the printable Coupons.com coupons that I printed and used this week. The Just for U coupons I used are listed above.
What are you making this week? Share your meal plan in the comments below.
Safeway offers so many amazing deals! For more deals and low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Would you like to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and subscribe to our daily newsletter.
* Please note – While Super Safeway serves the Denver Region (Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, South Dakota, and Wyoming), the savings information is based on Colorado pricing (Denver metropolitan) and the Safeway Coupon Policy..Your local store’s prices may vary.*