One-Pot Greek Skillet Chicken With Orzo
Savory lemon, spinach and olives accent roasted chicken baked with orzo in this delicious Skillet Chicken Meal.
Now that the kid’s winter sports are in full swing this season, dinner has to be easy and quick because we are limited on time, and this one-pot Greek Skillet Chicken with orzo, spinach, feta, and Kalamata olives is the perfect meal to get on the dinner table in just 30 minutes!
While the recipe may not be a traditional Greek meal, it has many Greek components like feta, spinach, lemon, and Kalamata olives which makes it a Greek-inspired dish!
I created this recipe for Safeway to be featured in a weekly ad a while back as an easy meal solution for back to school or anytime that you want a quick and easy meal that is delicious and that your whole family will love!
Take advantage of sales on Barilla orzo, chicken breasts and thighs and olives at Safeway to have this meal for dinner this week.
Ingredients in Greek Skillet Chicken
You can use bone-in or boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs for this recipe. I’ve used both and I feel the recipe works great with either. It just depends on whether your family likes light or dark meat.
- chicken breast or thighs
- olive oil
- roasted red peppers
- dried oregano
- Kalamata olives
- red onion
How to Make Greek Chicken Skillet Meal
The chicken is seared in olive oil then removed from the pan while the onion and garlic are softened.
You add the orzo, Kalamata olives and roasted red peppers to the pan and add the chicken back with the chicken broth so that the chicken gets cooked completely with the orzo pasta.
Then you add the chopped spinach, fresh dill, lemon juice, and zest and feta cheese and stir until the spinach is wilted.
Serve directly from the pan. So easy and so flavorful!
Check out additional easy meal solutions in our From the Kitchen page here.
One Pot Greek Skillet Chicken
- 5-6 chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cup orzo uncooked
- 24 oz. O Organics chicken broth
- 1 cup Kalamata olives halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice Juice of one lemon
- 1 ½ cups O Organics baby spinach leaves roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Signature SELECT roasted red bell peppers chopped
- 1/4 cup finely diced purple onion
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season chicken thighs (or breasts) with oregano, salt and pepper on both sides and sear chicken in skillet for 5 minutes. Flip and sear the other side for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet and place on plate. (chicken will not be cooked through at this time)
- Return the skillet to the stove top over medium heat. Add ½ tablespoon olive oil and sauté the garlic and red onion until fragrant (2 minutes) and then add in the orzo, roasted red peppers, chicken broth and olives. Add the chicken back to the skillet. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 15 minutes, or until orzo pasta is tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Note: You could also transfer the skillet to a 350 degree preheated oven after bringing the liquid to boil if you wanted to finish in the oven rather than on the stove top.
- Remove the chicken to plates and to the orzo, stir in the fresh chopped dill, lemon zest, lemon juice and spinach, stirring until the spinach wilts slightly. Top with the feta cheese and enjoy!
The best part is that you prepare the whole meal in one pan, which makes clean up easy, especially on a school night! You can also use this recipe for meal prep and save any leftovers in glass containers for work the next day.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*