Oven Baked Coconut Chicken Strips
Baked coconut chicken strips get a crispy crunch and loads of flavor from sweetened coconut flakes. Making crispy baked chicken is a great alternative to making fried chicken. It’s crunchy and flavorful like fried chicken, but it has a lot less fat and a fabulous tropical flavor from the coconut. I love to make these chicken strips for my kids as an alternative to breaded frozen chicken strips any day! You control the ingredients and avoid preservatives and added sodium. My daughters love to dip the chicken strips in the cornstarch and egg and coconut mixture, so they enjoy eating the chicken strips because they helped to make them!
Take advantage of the HOT Buy 1, get 2 Free Sanderson Farms Chicken sale at Safeway this week and make this delicious chicken recipe for dinner. While the tumeric dipping sauce is optional, you will love it so I highly recommend it. Turmeric is the spice that gives curry its yellow color and has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, so not only does it taste amazing, it’s really good for you!
- Sale ingredients used:
- Sanderson Farms chicken breasts – buy 1, get 2 free
- Spice Islands Tumeric and Cayenne Pepper – buy one get one free
- Bob’s Red Mill Coconut Flakes – just $1.99 with sale and this $1.00 off 1 Bob’s Red Mill coupon
- Lucerne 18 ct. eggs on sale for $2.49
Oven Baked Coconut Chicken Strips
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken breast tenders
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut unsweetened coconut can be substituted
Optional Quick Turmeric Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric or 1 teaspoon minced fresh turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400°. Line a 9x13” baking dish with aluminum foil and coat the bottom with canola oil. Cut chicken breasts into similar-sized strips (about 6 per breast).
Combine cornstarch, salt and cayenne pepper in shallow dish, then stir with a whisk and set aside. Place egg whites in mixing bowl and beat at medium speed with mixer, until very frothy (about 2 minutes). Place coconut in shallow dish.
Coat each strip in the cornstarch mixture, then dip in the egg white and gently coat in the coconut. Place the chicken strips in prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining chicken strips.
Lightly coat chicken strips with canola cooking spray and bake for 15 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the chicken over and cook until chicken is cooked through (10-15 minutes more). Serve immediately with a dipping sauce or salsa if desired.
Optional Quick Turmeric Dipping Sauce: Combine yogurt, olive oil, ground tumeric, salt and pepper and mix well.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*