Safeway Deals Weekly Meal Plan
Here is my meal plan for the week based on hot meat deals at Safeway through 5/3. I always plan my meals around the meat and produce deals since those items tend to be the most expensive part of the meal. Meal planning is the simple easiest way to save on groceries. Plan your meals based on sales and you’ll never be caught without ingredients that require an extra trip to the store.
This week there were hot deals on chicken drumsticks, thighs, and split breasts for just $.98 per lb. so we will use chicken several times throughout the week. In the new ad, we have a smoking hot price for pork shoulder roasts at just $1.49/lb., which will be perfect for making carnitas for Cinco de Mayo. There was also a hot deal on steak, pork roasts and breakfast sausage. My daughter requested steak fajitas for her birthday, so we are making steak fajitas this week. See below for five dinner ideas with a total cost of $60.98, which is just $2.43 per person per day for a family of five.
image credit: Simply Recipes
- Monday: Steak Fajitas
- Purchase: 1 red bell pepper, 1 yellow pepper and 1 green bell pepper and 2 yellow onions, sirloin steak on sale for $4.99/lb (1 bought 2.5 lbs for $12.72), Mission tortillas on sale for $1.49, peppers were on sale for $1.50 with my Just for U personal price, 1 lime
- From pantry: sour cream, cumin, salt, pepper, olive oil
- Total Cost = $15.97 or $3.19 per person
- We also had Tostitos Lime Chips with Salsa with this meal, which added another $1.99 for the chips
Recipe and image credit: Gimme Some Oven
- Tuesday: BBQ Grilled Chicken Drumsticks and Thighs served with Asian Ramen Noodle cole slaw salad
- Purchase chicken drumsticks on sale for $.98/lb (I paid $3.64 for 3.7 lbs), 1 bag Fresh express Shredded cabbage on sale for $.99, 2 ramen noodle packages $.60, green onions $.69, 1 avocado $1.50, 1 mango $1.99
- From pantry: sugar, BBQ sauce, salt, pepper, vinegar, soy sauce, oil, sesame seeds and slivered almonds
- Total Cost – $10.01 or $2.00 per person
- Note – If you have to buy the nuts for the salad, you will add about $6 to the cost.
Recipe and image credit: Simply Recipes
- Wednesday: Lemon Chicken Thighs and Drumsticks with Grilled Zucchini and Lemon Angel Hair Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes
- Bought: chicken thighs on sale for $.98/lb (I paid $4.66 for 4.75 lbs) 2 lemons ($.99), 3 zucchini’s on sale for $.99 per lb., Safeway Signature Angel Hair Pasta on sale for $1.00, and 2 pounds of vine tomatoes for $1.98
- From pantry: salt, pepper, olive oil, oregano and parmesan cheese
- Total Cost = $11.08, or $2.22 per person
- For the pasta, boil per package directions, then add zest of one lemon, pinch of salt, about 1/2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, tomatoes and parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper
- For the zucchini, slice into quarters, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and grill for about 12 minutes over medium heat until cooked.
Recipe and image credit: Damn Delicious
- Thursday: Slow-cooker Pork Carnitas and cilantro lime rice for Cinco de Mayo
- Bought: Bone-in pork roast or boneless pork shoulder for $1.49/lb. – $1.99/lb., (I bought the smallest I could find which was 8.5 lbs for $12.66) cilantro, 2 avocados for $1.50, Mission tortillas for $1.49, and a lime
- From my pantry: Shredded cheese, Safeway salsa, rice, salt, pepper
- Total Cost: $17.15 or $3.43 per person (but the meat will be used in 2 meals)
- If you don’t have rice in your pantry, pick up Mahatma rice for just $2.00 for 2lbs
- Friday: Pulled Pork Sandwiches with traditional cole-slaw salad and french fries
- You will have plenty of shredded pork left over that you can make pulled pork sandwiches this week. Simply add some BBQ sauce to the left over meat and serve on buns.
- Purchase: Safeway fries for $2.79, Fresh Express Cole-Slaw mix for $.99, Pepperidge Farm Whole Wheat Buns for $2.99 on sale
- From Pantry: Mayo, salt, pepper, vinegar, BBQ sauce
- Total Cost: $6.77 (since I’m using left over shredded pork)
Total Cost for this weeks dinners: $60.98, which is just $2.43 per person per day
- For Mother’s Day Brunch I am making a breakfast egg sausage casserole dish the night before. Using ground turkey sausage that’s just $1.50, Lucerne eggs ($2.00 for 18 ct.) and cheese. I am also buying Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sausage for $1.99, Jennie-O Bacon for $.85, extra zucchini to make zucchini bread, and a fresh cantaloupe for just $1.50.
What are you making this week with all the best deals at Safeway? Let us know in the comments below.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary.*