Butternut Squash soup is one my favorite dishes to eat all year round. In the summer months, I don’t like to heat the oven to roast a butternut squash, instead I use frozen pre-cubed squash to make soup because it’s easy, convenient and a huge time saver because you don’t have to chop the squash! I love butternut squash soup with simple ingredients like curry, apples, coconut and I even make a simple ginger butternut squash soup that is amazing cold on a hot day. In honor of Earth Month and the Every Cart Counts program, we partnered with Earthbound Farm and Whitewave Foods to bring you this simple and delicious recipe for Curried Coconut Butternut Squash Soup, using all natural and organic ingredients. It’s a simple, yet savory soup infused with coconut, cinnamon, and curry flavors that is perfect all year round.
Watch my video for making this soup here:
Curried Coconut Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2.5 cups of frozen, cubed butternut squash
- 1 1/2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken broth (or sub vegetable broth)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Heat a large pot over low to medium heat
- Once hot, add the coconut oil and the onions. Be careful not to burn the coconut oil because it is not intended for high heat. Saute the onions for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the curry and cinnamon spices and coat the onions. Cook for another minute until onions are translucent.
- Add the butternut squash, stir to coat with the spices and cook the squash for about 4 minutes
- Add chicken broth, coconut milk and salt and pepper
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to a low heat and simmer for 15 minutes, until the squash is fork tender.
- Use an immersion blender, or transfer the soup to a blender, and puree on high until creamy and smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed – add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with toasted pumpkin seeds
You can also add a little creme fraiche or a dollop of sour cream for extra creaminess if desired.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary.*
This post is sponsored by Earthbound Farm and Whitewave Foods. All opinions are my own, as always!