Mix up Taco Tuesday with a delicious taco skillet meal that mixes taco seasoned beef or turkey with beans and tomatoes for a delicious option the whole family will enjoy. Serve with tortillas and chips for a new way to celebrate the day.
Taco Skillet Recipe
Tacos are a budget-friendly meal, especially when you use ground beef or ground turkey on sale and utilize pantry staples you already have on hand like canned tomatoes and black beans.
This recipe gives you the flexibility to eat the taco skillet meat on its own, over tortilla chips like nachos, with a toasted flour tortilla cut into triangles, rolled in a tortilla like a soft taco, or over romaine to make a delicious taco salad. Of course, you can always serve with traditional taco shells if you prefer tacos.
You stretch the meat by adding beans, onions and canned tomatoes, which also adds nutrition and great flavor. At a total cost of $6.80, this taco skillet meal is a great addition to a weekly meal plan if you are on a budget or not. You’ll pay just $1.70 per serving.
Stock the freezer with ground beef when the meat is on sale for under $4/lb. for 93% lean and under $3/lb. for 80% lean. You can also use ground turkey in this recipe to lighten it up. Stock up on ground turkey when it’s $3.50 or less per pound.
Take advantage of a sale on 93% lean ground beef – just $3.97/lb. at Safeway and 93% lean ground turkey, also $3.97 for one pound to add this taco skillet to your weekly meal plan.
Taco Skillet Ingredients
- lean ground beef ($3.97/lb)
- 1 small yellow onion ($.33)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes ($.79)
- 1 can of black beans ($.79)
- homemade taco seasoning ($.92) or taco seasoning packet ($1.00)
Make your own taco seasoning for less than the seasoning packets cost.
Homemade Taco Seasoning for Taco Skillet Recipe
- 1 tablespoon chili powder ($.40)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder ($.10)
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder ($.10)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano ($.04)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika ($.10)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin ($.25)
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt ($.01)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper ($.02)
- $.92 total cost for taco skillet seasoning
If you have a taco seasoning packet on hand, you can always use that instead of making your own.
Taco Skillet Optional Add-ins.
You can add green chiles or canned tomatoes with green chiles, a diced jalapeno for a little heat, canned or frozen corn and chopped mushrooms to further stretch the meat and add nutrients.
Garnish with green onions, shredded cheese, sour cream, avocados or homemade guacamole for a delicious twist on tacos.
- lean ground beef $3.97/lb
- 1 small yellow onion, diced $.33
- 1 can of diced tomatoes $.79
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed $.79
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder $.40
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder $.10
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder $.10
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano $.04
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika $.10
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin $.25
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt $.01
- 1 teaspoon black pepper $.02
- Brown the ground beef over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to break up any large pieces. Add the onion and saute with the meat until soft.
- Add the canned tomatoes with the juice, the drained black beans, and taco seasoning. Stir well and cook until combined.
- add 1/3 cup water to loosen if needed
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. *