Winter Salad With Granny Smith Apple Vinaigrette
Put together a beautiful, no-stress side for your next winter gathering. This gorgeous salad is a bright addition to any holiday table. Whip up our Granny Smith Apple Vinaigrette and dress the Brussels sprouts, then arrange the ingredients artfully on the platter.
Making winter salads with seasonal ingredients is a great way to mix up your salad recipes and also a great way to save on seasonal produce. Kale salads are really amazing on their own, as are brussels sprouts salads, but when you combine the two, you have a nutritional powerhouse salad!
Add pomegranate arils for an extra kick of antioxidants and roasted walnuts for a dose of omega 3 fatty acids and you will feel the instant boost of energy from this salad!
I made the Clementine Brussels Sprouts salad for Christmas dinner last year and there was none leftover – I was shocked, even my 12-year-old daughter loved the salad! I’m going to mix it up this year with this winter salad.
I like to chop my kale into thin strips, as I find it’s easier to eat and much less bitter, especially when coated with the apple dressing and all the fabulous toppings. You can even mix up the nuts in this recipe and choose pecans or almonds. Definitely roast before adding to the salad for an extra crunch!
Winter Salad With Apple Vinaigrette
- 3 cups shaved Brussels sprouts
- 4 cups kale roughly chopped
- 3 mandarin oranges peel removed and sliced into rounds
- 3 Tbs walnuts roasted and chopped
- 2 Tbs crumbled feta or goat cheese
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
Granny Smith Apple Vinaigrette:
- 1 Granny Smith apple roughly chopped
- 1/2 shallot roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs honey
- squeeze of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
To make Granny Apple Smith Vinaigrette, add all ingredients into a high-powered blender. Blend on low, then high, until mixture is smooth (dressing may still be a little thick, especially depending on the size of your apple!) You can also thin it out a bit more by adding 1-2 tablespoons of water.
- Add shaved Brussels sprouts and Granny Smith Vinaigrette to a bowl and toss together.
- To build the salad, spread kale onto a large platter. Spread shaved sprouts that have been tossed in dressing on top. Add mandarin oranges, placing in alternative spots all around platter. Sprinkle walnuts, cheese and pomegranates all over salad. Serve immediately!
Super Safeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and subscribe to our newsletter.