Italian Beef Soup Recipe
Savory ground beef is added to hearty vegetables in a perfectly seasoned broth in this Italian Beef Soup. Full of protein, fiber and nutrients, it’s perfect on a cold winter day. You likely have all the ingredients on hand as it’s full of refrigerator and pantry staples.
Popular with the adults and kids in my family, it’s a keeper anytime you can shop your pantry for soup ingredients and skip a trip to the store. All you need is ground beef or ground turkey, canned tomatoes, canned beans, and fresh or frozen spinach. The seasonings are really simple, but if you want to add a parmesan cheese rind to the soup, it would intesnify the flavor quite a bit adding salty umami to the soup.
You could also make this soup with kale if you have that on hand. I always have bags of frozen kale and spinach on hand to make smoothies, so this is typically what ends up in my soups because frankly, you can’t tell the difference between fresh and frozen spinach or kale in a soup.
This Italian Beef Soup Recipe can also make meal prep a cinch as you can store it in a glass container and take it to work for a quick reheat for lunch.
Ingredients in Italian Beef Soup
Ground beef – we use lean, organic grass fed ground beef in this soup. It adds great flavor and texture and because it’s organic and grass fed, it’s healthier than conventional beef with no added growth hormones or added antibiotics.
Aromatics – garlic, carrots, onion, Italian seasoning are used to add flavor and texture to the soup.
Beef Broth – The liquid used as the base for the soup. Adds a delicious savory flavor to the soup.
Canned Beans and Tomatoes – we use canned veggies as a time saver here. The canellini beans add fiber to the soup and also thicken it slightly as they start to break down. The tomatoes add color, flavor and great texture to the soup. YOu can substitute for chickpeas, kidney beans or great northern beans if you don’t have cannelini beans on hand.
Baby Spinach – adds nutrients, flavor and texture to the soup
Italian Beef Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup O Organics® sweet petite carrots cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic coves minced
- 1 14.5- ounce can O Organics® diced tomatoes with basil garlic and oregano
- 1 15- ounce can O Organics® cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 32- ounce box O Organics® beef broth
- 1 lb O Organics® ground beef 85-15, fully cooked
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups O Organics® baby spinach roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- parmesan cheese freshly grated (for garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium high heat. Add the chopped carrots and onion and cook until tender about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic to the pot and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute
- Add canned beans, tomatoes and broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the carrots are tender - about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the ground beef in a non-stick skillet. Season the the ground beef with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. If desired, drain the fat.
- Add the cooked ground beef to the soup and simmer for another few minutes. Add the fresh spinach and stir until the spinach wilts.
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. *