Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
Crispy BBQ chicken is perfectly seasoned and cooked in the air fryer for BBQ chicken that is finger-licking good. No need to stand over a hot grill outdoors or heat the oven when you can get the same delicious BBQ chicken with extra crispy skin in the air fryer.
Pick up chicken thighs on sale at Safeway to make this air fryer chicken recipe for dinner this week.
Ingredients for BBQ Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on, and trimmed of excess fat/skin
- olive oil – just a touch to help the seasoning blend adhere to the chicken
- smoked paprika – helps give the chicken a delicious smoky flavor and gorgeous color
- onion powder and garlic powder – essentials for flavoring the chicken before cooking
- cayenne pepper – adds just a hint of spice, without overwhelming the chicken
- salt and pepper
- BBQ Sauce – you can make your own or use store-bought barbecue sauce as the finishing touch to the air-fried chicken. Serve with extra BBQ sauce for anyone who wants more.
How to Make Bone-In Chicken Thighs in the Air Fryer
Preheat the air fryer to 375° F.
Cut the excess fat from the chicken thighs.
Place the chicken in a bowl or large plate and drizzle with olive oil.
Mix the smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl. Season the chicken on both sides with the seasoning blend, rubbing it in until the chicken is thoroughly coated.
Place the chicken in the heated air fryer, skin side down, and cook for 25 to 30 minutes on 375° F. Flip the chicken skin side up at the 15-minute mark to get even cooking.
Brush the chicken with BBQ sauce and cook for an extra 5 minutes or so until the chicken registers 165° with an internal meat thermometer.
All air fryers are different, so the time may be slightly more or less. The chicken skin will be crispy by 25 minutes, but the internal temperature of the chicken near the bone is what matters in terms of doneness.
What to Serve with BBQ Chicken
The perfect BBQ chicken is slightly sweet, slightly smoky, and spicy at the same time. Therefore, it benefits from sides that are also complex in flavors like a crunchy coleslaw, creamy sweet potato mash, some crispy fries or sweet potato fries or a fresh garden salad.
The sides will also vary based on the time of year that you are serving the chicken. Summer BBQ chicken should include crispy corn on the cob, slaw and watermelon, while BBQ chicken in cooler months should be served with sweet potato fries or roasted butternut squash.
Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer
- 4-5 chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup BBQ Sauce
- Preheat the air fryer to 375° F.
- Place the chicken in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
- Mix the smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper in a small bowl. Season the chicken on both sides with the seasoning blend, rubbing it in until the chicken is thoroughly coated.
- Place the chicken in the heated air fryer, skin side down, and cook for 25 to 30 minutes on 375° F. Flip the chicken skin side up half-way through cooking (at the 15-minute mark) to get even cooking on both sides.
- Brush the chicken with BBQ sauce and cook for an extra 3-5 minutes or so until the chicken registers 165° with an internal meat thermometer.
Additional Chicken Recipes
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals and planning your meals based on sales at Safeway in the Denver division.
For more low prices, check out the Safeway weekly ad and the Safeway coupon matchup page. Would you like to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, subscribe to our Instagram, or head over to Pinterest. Also, make sure to subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*