A delicious tangy dressing combined with salty pistachios and sweet apples and dried cranberries makes this Broccoli Salad unique. A perfect side dish using fresh broccoli.
Raw broccoli is so good for you but can be hard to eat unless it’s dipped in dressing. This raw broccoli salad is the exception. Chopped broccoli combined with sweet and savory fruit and nuts with a tangy dijon dressing make this broccoli salad a perfect side dish for potlucks, showers, and any time broccoli is on sale.
Take advantage of the hot sale on fresh broccoli crowns at Safeway to make this delicious broccoli salad for a side to dinner or for lunch this week.
Broccoli is a super-food and is packed with vitamins and minerals. It’s on our list of foods to eat to boost immunity. It’s also packed with vitamin C, boasting 81 mg. of vitamin C in just one cup. Eat it raw to get the most out of your broccoli!
This salad is light, tangy, and delicious. It has no added sugar, no meat, and no dairy. It uses mayo, but a vegan mayo can certainly be substituted.
1 pound broccoli crowns
1/2 cup apple, diced (I used gala)
1/3 cup diced shallot (or red onion)
1/3 dried cranberries
1/3 cup shelled pistachios (can sub toasted almonds)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons mayo
1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
1 garlic clove, minced
salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Broccoli Salad
Chop the broccoli florets into 1/2 inch pieces and chop the stems into 1/4 each pieces.
In the bottom of a large bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients – mayo, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, and minced garlic. The dressing will be loose and runny. Whisk until it’s fully emulsified and combined.
Add the chopped broccoli, diced apple, diced shallot, dried cranberries and salted pistachio nuts to the bowl and mix well to combine with the dressing. The salad tastes better as it soaks up the dressing.
Serve chilled or room temperature, but don’t let it sit out for too long since it has mayo.
- 1 pound broccoli crowns
- 1/2 cup apple diced (I used gala)
- 1/3 cup diced shallot or red onion
- 1/3 dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios can sub toasted almonds
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons mayo
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 garlic clove minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the broccoli florets into 1/2 inch pieces and chop the stems into 1/4 each pieces.
- In the bottom of a large bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients - mayo, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, and minced garlic. The dressing will be loose and runny. Whisk until it's fully emulsified and combined.
- Add the chopped broccoli, diced apple, diced shallot, dried cranberries and salted pistachio nuts to the bowl and mix well to combine with the dressing. The salad tastes better as it soaks up the dressing.
- Serve chilled or room temperature, but don't let it sit out for too long since it has mayo.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. *