Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken
Tender chicken thighs are marinated in a bold sweet and spicy sauce, then pan-seared in this Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken recipe! Budget-friendly and easy to make for a weeknight meal. Pair with a side of rice for a delicious take-out style dinner from the comfort of your kitchen.
Take advantage of the hot sale on boneless, skinless chicken breasts at Safeway and make this Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken recipe for your family this week. I chose chicken thighs for the recipe because it presents really well and absorbs all the delicious sauce flavors.
The marinade is incredibly simple to make and if you reserve a little bit, it can act as a sauce to coat the chicken after it’s cooked. The heat in the sauce comes from garlic chili paste. You could also substitute Sriracha if you have that on hand instead.
Making Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken Sauce
To make the marinade – combine soy sauce, honey, minced garlic, lime juice, garlic chili paste, rice wine vinegar and mix together. Add the chicken and marinate for at least one hour, or overnight.
Cook the chicken in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. I like to start skin side down so that the skin gets golden and crispy. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink.
If you’d like, you can transfer to a 350-degree oven after searing both sides and cook for about 15 minutes for the sauce to caramelize and cook the chicken all the way through.
Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken
Marinade and Sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon garlic chili paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 6 boneless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sliced green onions for garnish
- In a large bowl, mix the honey, garlic chili paste, garlic, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and lime juice together until well combined. Reserve 1/4 cup of marinade out of the bowl and reserve to use for later as glazing sauce.
- Cover with plastic wrap and marinade chicken for a minimum of 1 hour or overnight (if time allows), in the refrigerator.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a nonstick pan or cast iron skillet. Sear the chicken in two batches (I do 3 thighs per batch), on both sides along with any sauce leftover in the bowl, until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle; the skin is crisp and golden browned.
- Add the reserved sauce to the chicken in the pan to warm through on medium heat, stirring occasionally while mixing all of the pan juices through the sauce.
- Serve chicken immediately along with the sauce. Garnish with sliced green onion. Serve over rice or noodles with a vegetable of your choice.
What to Serve with Honey Garlic Chicken
This chicken pairs perfectly with white or brown rice, or to amp up the nutrition, you may try a cauliflower fried rice or steamed broccoli.
Additional Chicken Recipes to Try
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*