Microwave Artichokes With Dip
You only need 20 minutes to make our microwave Artichoke Halves with Restaurant-Style Hot Spinach Dip. The artichoke halves add style, serving as individual dishes for the dip. Rich, hot spinach dip will have people marveling at your culinary skills. Take this elegant dish to your next party as a side or appetizer.
In season now – ARTICHOKES
Who knew that artichokes in the microwave could turn out so well? Typically prepared by either boiling or steaming, most artichoke recipes can take over an hour from start to finish, but this easy microwave steamed artichokes recipe is ready in less than 20 minutes and have all the flavor you love from more traditional recipes!
Plus, they’re Whole30, Paleo, and full of health benefits for an appetizer, side dish, or snack you can feel good about eating. We are serving them with a delicious hot spinach dip that is loaded with nutrients and flavor!
If you are used to boiling or steaming artichokes, you’ll love this microwave method because it is such a time saver!
- 2 artichokes
- 1 tablespoon Lucerne® whipped butter
- 1 cup O Organics® whole or low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 Tbs unbleached white flour
- 1/16 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/16 tsp white pepper (black pepper can be used)
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup Lucerne® shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/8 cup chopped green onions, white and part green (about 1 green onion, white and part of green)
- 5 ounces Signature SELECT frozen chopped spinach, thawed and gently squeezed of excess water
- Salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- pinenuts (for garnish, optional)
How to Cook Artichokes in the Microwave
Cut artichokes in half, from the stem to the tip. Using a metal spoon, scoop out the prickly thistle center and inner leaves with sharp pink tips and discard.
Place artichoke halves in a microwave-safe dish with a cover and add about 2 inches of water.
Microwave on high for about 5 minutes. Flip the halves over and microwave for about 5 additional minutes. If artichokes aren’t yet cooked through and tender, microwave longer, as needed.
Microwave time for artichokes – small artichokes can be done in 7-8 minutes, and large artichokes take 9 – 10 minutes.
While artichokes are cooking in the microwave, start making the spinach dip.
Melt butter in a small, non-stick saucepan over medium heat, until golden brown. Stir in 3 tablespoons of milk and the flour, nutmeg, and pepper. Slowly stir in the remaining milk.
Bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low and continue to gently boil, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens. Stir in Parmesan cheese, garlic, green onions, and spinach. Continue to heat on low for a few minutes, stirring often. Add salt and pepper, to taste, if desired.
Additional Recipes Using Artichokes
Lemon Baked Cod With Artichokes and Panko
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons.
For more low prices, check out the Safeway weekly ad and the Safeway coupon matchup page. Would you like to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, subscribe to our Instagram, or head over to Pinterest. Also, make sure to subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*