Spicy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Beat the cold with a big bowl of vegan homemade soup. This spicy sweet potato soup is nourishing and delicious, the perfect soup for a meatless Monday.
While there are some awesome deals on meat at Safeway this week, sticking to a meatless meal night each week will save you money in the long run because so many delicious meals can be made out of items you have on hand in your pantry or freezer.
Take this spicy sweet potato soup for example, the only fresh ingredient you really need to use is 2 sweet potatoes. The other ingredients in the soup can be frozen or jarred if you don’t have fresh on hand.
The heat from the soup comes from chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. The peppers give this soup a warm and delicious flavor and a touch of heat, but there is plenty of sweetness to offset the heat and fresh flavor from the corn, canned tomatoes and the spinach.
I have a large pot of this soup on the stove for dinner tonight and I can’t wait to dig in! I’ll serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of shredded cheese for some extra creaminess.
Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt divided
- 2 grated garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 medium sweet potatoes diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- 1 finely-minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1, 14.5- oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups roughly-chopped spinach
- 1, 15- oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 ear of corn kernels removed
- Heat olive oil in 4-quart sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Sauté until translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cumin and heat for 30 seconds.
- Add sweet potatoes and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and cook until sweet potatoes are fork tender, about 12-14 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, chipotle pepper, tomatoes, black beans and corn. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in spinach and serve.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary.*