8 Layer Greek Hummus Dip
With the big game just around the corner, I wanted to share an easy and delicious 8 Layer Greek Hummus Dip that you can pull together as an appetizer for any cookout or gathering you may be hosting.
Hummus is one of the easiest dishes to make and as long as you have tahini on hand, it’s much cheaper to make your own instead of buy every time! The best part of making your own hummus is that you control the amount of salt, garlic, lemon, and cumin that you add, so you can customize it to your liking. I’ve partnered with Kuner’s of Colorado to create this recipe and share it with you anytime you are having people over and want an easy appetizer.
It took 20 minutes to make this dip, including the time to prepare the homemade hummus. I actually used 2 cans of Kuner’s Garbanzo beans because I used one to make the hummus as the base of the dip and the second can was used for roasting the garbanzo beans until they are crunchy I used them as a topping for my 8 Layer Greek Hummus Dip.
Making homemade hummus
Hummus is incredibly easy to prepare at home. You simply combine drained and rinsed garbanzo beans, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, tahini, and olive oil until you have a creamy mixture. Tahini is ground up sesame seeds and you can typically find this in the international food aisle at your local grocery store. It’s not cheap, but you only use 1/4 cup at a time, so it lasts a really long time, depending on how often you make hummus.
You can really add any variety of toppings you want, I stuck with cucumbers, bell pepper, banana peppers, crumbled feta cheese, and fresh parsley. I also drizzled the dip with extra virgin olive oil and topped it with freshly ground black pepper to finish it off.
Even if you are having a large crowd and you plan to double or triple the recipe, you’ll still be ahead by making your own hummus, rather than buying it. I make it weekly, trust me I know!
To roast the garbanzo beans, I drained and rinsed them and spread onto a baking sheet. I topped with a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil, pepper and a sprinkle of cumin and baked until they were crispy for 20 minutes. If you do this step first, then they chickpeas will be ready as a topping when your dip is done.
Check out additional recipe ideas perfect for entertaining using Kuner’s canned foods here:
8 Layer Greek Hummus Dip
- 1 15-oz can Kuner's Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the 8 layer dip
- 1 15 oz can Kuner's Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup English cucumber seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives chopped
- 1/3 cup banana peppers chopped
- 1/3 cup green onions, white and green parts chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Fresh parsley
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Drain and rinse 1 can garbanzo beans and spread evenly on baking sheet. Top with 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with pepper and cumin. Roast for 20 minutes until crunchy. Shake the pan once during roasting to turn the garbanzo beans. Set aside until dip is done and use as a topping for the dip.
- In a food processor, combine 1 can garbanzo beans, tahini, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil and puree until the mixture is combined and smooth. If the mixture is not smooth, add a touch more olive oil until smooth.
- Dice all the veggies and sprinkle them on the hummus base in any order you like. We did cucumbers, peppers, green onions, banana peppers, tomatoes, and roasted chickpeas. Top with crumbled feta cheese and chopped parsley.
- Serve with bias-sliced English cucumbers, pita chips, mini bell peppers, chips or crackers
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Kuner’s of Colorado, all opinions, recipe and images are my own. We appreciate you supporting the brands that make this site possible.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*