Best Crab Cakes Recipe
Crab cakes can be an appetizer or a meal, and we’ve got a recipe that will garner rave reviews. This crowd-pleaser is topped with a bright jalapeño-lime sauce. Light and flavorful, this crab cakes recipe is called “best” for a reason!
Crab Cakes would make a fabulous addition to any holiday table and your dinner would be considered surf and turf if you are serving say a prime rib as the centerpiece of the meal.
This light crab cake recipe from Safeway is served with a jalapeno lime sauce.
to make these delicious crab cakes as a perfect appetizer this holiday season.
How to Remove the Crab Meat from the Snow Crab Cluster
- Start by removing each individual leg from the cluster by snapping it off at the cluster.
- Break each leg into two parts by snapping at the joint.
- For each leg use two hands on each end to gently bend back and forth until the shell breaks. The meat should slide out easily from the shell.
- For claws, use a cracker or your teeth to break open the shell. Do not apply too much pressure or you’ll crush the meat inside. Peel back the shell until you can easily slide the meat out.
- For the cluster, crack it gently with your hands and fold it open. The meat is found on the inside. Use a small fork to remove all the pockets of meat.
Best Crab Cakes
- 1 cup panko crumbs divided use
- 2 tablespoons Signature Kitchens™ light mayonnaise divided use
- 5 tablespoons Lucerne® light sour cream divided use
- 2 tablespoons Lucerne® egg substitute or one egg white
- 2 1/4 tablespoons Dijon mustard divided use
- 2 green onions white and green parts (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning or similar
- 2 cups fresh crabmeat picked over for shells (about 10 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil add a teaspoon more as needed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon seeded and minced jalapeno pepper add more to taste
- OPTIONAL: Pepper to taste
- Place 1/4 cup of the breadcrumbs, along with 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon light sour cream, egg substitute, 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, green onions, Worcestershire sauce, and Old Bay seasoning, in a medium bowl and stir to blend.
- With rubber scraper or spoon, mix in the crabmeat and shape (with clean hands) into eight small crab cakes about 1/2-inch thick. Place the remaining breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl and gently dip the crab cakes into the breadcrumbs, coating them on all sides.
- Place canola oil in a medium nonstick frying pan and begin to heat over medium-high heat. Add the crab cakes and cook until the bottoms are golden brown (about 3 minutes.) Gently flip them over and brown the other side (about 3 minutes more). Serve with the Quick Jalapeno-Lime Sauce.
- For the Quick Jalapeno-Lime Sauce, in a small bowl, combine a tablespoon of light mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard. Add pepper to taste if desired.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we find and share the best advertised and unadvertised deals at Safeway with and without coupons. We also share recipes and weekly meal planning ideas based on sales to maximize your savings. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Stay updated on the best deals by following Super Safeway on Facebook, on Twitter, on Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. *