Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe
Chicken lettuce wraps are one of our staple meal rotation items – they are easy to make, delicious, and budget-friendly. The kids love to fill their lettuce cups with their choice of toppings, so they feel like they made dinner, which is always a bonus!
These cashew chicken lettuce wraps are bursting with flavor, so I don’t serve with any additional dipping sauces. There is actually plenty of sauce in the pan to coat the chicken, cashews and my youngest always wants the extra sauce for her rice and there’s plenty of sauce left for that! If you want a little extra brightness in the dish, you can squeeze a little lime juice on the lettuce wraps.
I typically have soy sauce, hoisin, chicken broth, rice vinegar, cornstarch, and sesame oil on hand in my pantry because we cook a lot of Asian-inspired meals, so I only had to buy the chicken, green onions, and ginger for the meal. I use hot sesame oil to saute the chicken.
It immediately adds heat and gives amazing flavor to the chicken. As a result, we end up using very little Sriracha, but you can adjust the heat to your liking.
I like to serve cashew chicken lettuce wraps with brown rice and garnish with fresh chopped green onions, shredded carrots, and chopped cashews.
Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps Ingredients
Don’t let the list of ingredients for these cashew chicken lettuce wraps intimidate you. You likely have most of the ingredients on hand in your pantry and just have to purchase the fresh ingredients.
- boneless, skinless chicken breast
- lettuce cups – romaine, bibb, Boston, or even iceberg lettuce will work
- hoisin sauce
- low sodium soy sauce
- rice vinegar
- freshly grated ginger
- chicken broth
- green onions
- shredded carrots
- sesame oil
Be sure to take advantage of the hot sale on boneless, skinless chicken breasts at Safeway to make these cashew chicken lettuce wraps for dinner this week. If you don’t have cashews in the pantry, you can sub peanuts. the Planters Whole Cashews are on sale for $4.99 a can.
Or you can sub peanuts – but I like the texture of the cashews in the cashew chicken recipe.
While I used the O Organics living butter lettuce for my lettuce cups, you can easily use iceberg lettuce. You’ll get a bigger crunch with the iceberg cups!
Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into small pieces
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil I used hot sesame oil
- 3/4 cup unsalted cashews
- 1 head green leafy lettuce romaine, bib, or butter
- 5 green onions chopped, divided
- shredded carrots for garnish
- 1 - 2 teaspoons Sriracha hot sauce to taste, optional
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Make the sauce by stirring together the chicken broth, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, hoisin sauce, vinegar, and cornstarch in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to hot skillet. Cook, flipping a few times until cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add the sauce from the bowl and continue to cook, stirring, until thickened - about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in cashews and half of the green onion, reserving the other half for garnish at the end.
- Serve in cold lettuce cups. Top with remaining chopped green onions, shredded carrots and fresh chopped cashews. Add Sriracha if desired.
If you want additional chicken recipe inspiration for the hot sale at Safeway, check out these chicken recipes:
Cheesy Poblano Stuffed Chicken Breast
Chicken, Bean and Veggie Foil Packets
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*