Cauliflower Fried Rice
Fried rice is a staple in our house and I always make my own fried rice with brown rice and lots of veggies, which is delicious. However, there are times when I am cutting back on carbs, so I swap “riced” cauliflower for the rice to make this dish low-carb. With Spring Break coming up soon, I’m back on my low-carb meal planning, so I’ve swapped real rice for cauliflower!
If you love fried rice, but don’t enjoy the carb count that comes with it, you’ll love this Cauliflower Fried Rice recipe. It’s ready in less than 20 minutes and it’s loaded with veggies such as cauliflower, onions, carrots, peas, broccoli and green beans. Also, it’s low-carb, vegetarian and can be made gluten-free if you use gluten-free soy sauce. You can add shrimp, chicken or any protein you wish to make it a complete meal!
Take advantage of the hot sale on organic cauliflower at Safeway right now and make a delicious cauliflower fried rice for dinner this week! Check out additional recipes based on sales at Safeway in our From the Kitchen page here.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CAULIFLOWER INTO RICE?
It’s simple! You cut the cauliflower into florets, then place a few pieces at a time into the food processor and pulse until it resembles rice (30-40 seconds). You don’t want to put too many florets into the food processor as it will over-process it and if you pulse it too long, it can turn it to mush. You can also find cauliflower rice available pre-cut and bagged in the produce section at Safeway, but my preference is to make it myself because it tastes better than frozen options and the pre-cut fresh variety spoils fast.
- 1 medium head about 24 oz cauliflower, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon hot sesame oil gives it more flavor, but regular sesame oil can also be used
- 2 eggs beaten
- cooking spray
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 5 scallions diced, whites and greens separated
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce or more to taste
- Remove the cauliflower core and chop into florets.
- Place half of the cauliflower into a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is small and has the texture of rice or couscous. Set aside and repeat with the remaining cauliflower.
- Beat eggs with a fork.
- Heat a large saute pan or wok over medium heat and spray with oil.
- Add the eggs and cook, stirring the eggs until they are cooked through.
- Add the sesame oil and saute onions, scallion whites and mixed vegetables about 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft. Raise the heat to medium-high.
- Add the cauliflower “rice” to the saute pan along with soy sauce. Mix, cover and cook approximately 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the cauliflower and vegetables are cooked
- Add the scrambled eggs then remove from heat and mix in scallion greens.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*