Chipotle Beef Barbacoa Bowl
Savory barbacoa beef combined with tangy cilantro lime rice and your choice of toppings make these DIY Chipotle Burrito Bowls with Beef Barbacoa a perfect meal option anytime beef roasts are on sale.
Take advantage of the HOT deal on USDA Choice Cross-Rib Beef Roasts at Safeway – just $2.97/lb. this week to make a batch of slow cooker barbacoa beef to make these bowls!
While we are sheltering in place my family asked if we could do Chipotle take-out because they love to make their own bowls. While we could easily go to Chipotle, I can make burrito bowls at home for a fraction of the price and I think they taste even better! See the cost difference at the end of the post.
After tinkering in the kitchen forever to come up with the perfect cilantro rice, I think I finally nailed it. I used jasmine rice and started by sauteeing garlic and onions in the saucepan with butter and olive oil before adding the rice. I don’t believe Chipotle uses onions or garlic, but that’s what made all the difference!
Butter, fresh lime juice, and lime zest along with salt, pepper, and minced cilantro are the keys to a perfect cilantro lime rice, even better than Chipotle because it is made with fluffy jasmine rice!
During the holidays when all our extended family is visiting we order Chipotle catering for 20. You get your choice of meat, rice, veggies, beans, tortillas, chips, salsas, and more. I made a similar burrito bowl station for my family using the slow cooker barbacoa beef I made yesterday and my kids were in heaven.
DIY Chipotle Burrito Bowls
You can make dinnertime fun by preparing your own DIY Burrito Bowl fiesta. Here’s what you’ll need. Make it fun by putting everything in its own bowl so that your family can pick and choose their bowl toppings.
Beans (black or pinto)
Meat (barbacoa beef, chicken or pork)
Veggies – sauteed onions and bell peppers
Avocados or Guacamole
Cilantro Lime Rice (or cauliflower rice)
Salsa or fresh tomatoes
Limes for Garnish
- 1 lb. slow cooker barbacoa beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 -6 mini bell peppers sliced or 2 full-size bell peppers sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head romaine lettuce shredded
- 1 avocado sliced
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 2 cups rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 lime juice and zest
- sea salt and pepper to taste
Burrito Bowl Toppings
- 1 15 oz can beans black or pinto, rinsed and drained
- Shredded Cheese optional
- Sour Cream optional
- Salsa or fresh tomatoes optional
- Limes for garnish optional
- Prepare the barbacoa beef in the slow cooker following this recipe: https://supersafeway.com/slow-cooker-barbacoa-beef/
- Fajita Veggies
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and add sliced peppers and onions and cook for 8-10 minutes until soft. Season with salt and pepper. Once cooked, remove from heat and place in a serving bowl.
- Cilantro Rice
- heat oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onions and minced garlic and cook until translucent about 2-3 minutes. Add rice to the pan and water and stir until incorporated. Bring water to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer. Cover the pot to cook the rice until it's done - about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir the chopped cilantro, lime zest lime juice, salt and pepper into the cooked rice and pour into a serving bowl.
- Place the beans in a microwave-proof bowl and heat for one minute until hot.
- Place shredded romaine, beans, sour cream, shredded cheese, cooked barbacoa beef, cilantro rice, fajita veggies in individual bowls and let your guests assemble their own bowls.
Start with the rice, add your protein, veggies, and toppings. Each bowl can be unique. This is also a perfect meal for meal prep because you can add each ingredient to a glass bowl that can be heated up for lunch throughout the week.
Cost of homemade burrito bowls:
If I were to order 5 barbacoa beef burrito bowls from Chipotle with all the fixings, it would set me back $40.75 without guacamole, or $52 with guacamole on each bowl. That’s a steep price for dinner that I can make at home for just $14.48 for 5 people, which is a cost per serving of just $2.89. The best part is there’s plenty of meat, rice, and veggies leftover for lunches the next day. See the cost breakdown here:
- barbacoa beef recipe using 1.5 lbs of beef roast $7.00
- shredded romaine $1.00
- black beans $.79
- peppers $.89 and onion $.59
- sour cream $.50
- lime $.50
- cheese $.75
- rice $.96
- avocado $1.50
Serve with a delicious mango margarita.
Be sure to let us know how your DIY Chipotle Burrito Bowls turn out.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we find and share the best advertised and unadvertised deals at Safeway with and without coupons. We also share recipes and weekly meal planning ideas based on sales to maximize your savings. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Stay updated on the best deals by following Super Safeway on Facebook, on Twitter, on Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter. Thanks to Safeway for letting us share this image and recipe with you.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary.