Cranberry Orange Cake
Not only is it the prime orange season, but I also have a lot of baking ingredients and fresh cranberries for the holidays and I love the combination of oranges with cranberries in baked goods. This is a perfect Christmas dinner dessert! My favorite part is the macerated cranberries that have soaked in orange liqueur. It’s a great kick for the tart cranberries.
This is also a perfect dessert to serve for brunch, a shower, or any event where you want to bring a sweet treat.
This cake calls for extra light olive oil, but vegetable oil works just as well if that’s all you have on hand. I do not recommend using extra virgin olive oil as it would alter the taste of the cake.
Cranberry Orange Cake Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup Extra Light Olive Oil
- 3 Tbs buttermilk
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup Zest of 1 orange
- Fresh whipped cream, for topping (See below for Citrus Spice Whipped Cream recipe)
- For Macerated Cranberries
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur
- Sugar, to taste
- Prepare macerated cranberries by mixing ingredients in a bowl, and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and coat a 9 in. round baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy. Then beat in oil, followed by the buttermilk.
- Add flour mixture, orange zest and cranberries, and mix until just incorporated.
- Pour batter into pan, and place in oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the cake is springy to the touch.
- Remove from oven, and let rest on a wire cooling rack for 5 minutes, then remove from pan.
- To serve, slice into wedges and top with macerated cranberries and whipped cream.
Citrus Spiced Whipped Cream:
- 2 cups cold Lucerne® Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tsp fresh orange zest
- 4 Tbs brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
In a bowl, add all ingredients. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form, scraping down the sides. Do not overbeat. Refrigerate until ready to use.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we find and share the best advertised and unadvertised deals at Safeway with and without coupons. We also share recipes and weekly meal planning ideas based on sales to maximize your savings. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Stay updated on the best deals by following Super Safeway on Facebook, on Twitter, on Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. *