Homemade Granola Bars – Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
I was in a baking mood over the weekend and homemade granola bars were on the list since I had a ton of oats, dates and chocolate chips on hand in my pantry, I decided to try this Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bar recipe. These bars took about 5 minutes to prepare in the food processor and 35 minutes to bake and the house smelled like oatmeal chocolate chip cookies while they were baking. My husband has officially devoured the entire pan and told me this was the BEST recipe I’ve ever made. I did make a slight modification to the recipe below by adding 1/2 cup of cacao nips in addition to the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and I used milk chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate chips – because that is my personal preference.
The end result was delicious, chocolatey, chewy homemade granola bars that we all loved. I wanted to take a picture to show you my finished product, but my husband got into the pan before it even cooled and ate half the pan with a fork! He couldn’t believe that there is no added sugar in this recipe. All the sweetness comes from the dates and the chocolate chips.
Sale ingredients used: Quaker Oats 42 oz on sale for $2.99 through 9/12, O Organics Peanut Butter on sale for $3.99 – or you can use Skippy Peanut Butter on sale for $2.00. The dates and cacao nibs are definitely the most expensive part of the recipe, but I had stocked up on dates from an earlier sale at Safeway.
Homemade Granola Bars Recipe
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
- 1 cup soft dates about 14 - 16 dates
- 1/2 cup O Organics® old fashioned crunchy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk from a carton
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Spray an 8x8 pan with nonstick cooking spray (or, line it with parchment paper).
2. In a food processor, add dates (pitted). Process until dates are chopped into small pieces (for about 20 seconds). Add egg, coconut milk and salt, and process again until creamy. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the food processor and make sure everything gets incorporated. Add peanut butter and blend/process for a moment.
3. Pour mixture into a bowl (scraping down the sides of the food processor again, so you make sure you get everything), and add quick oats and chocolate chips. Stir until everything is evenly mixed together.
4. Spread mixture into the pan, and spread evenly with a spatula. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes. Remove and let fully cool, then cut into 12 bars. Store in an airtight container.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. *