Mashed Maple-Orange Sweet Potatoes
One my favorite sides during the holidays is the sweet potatoes and this year I am trying a new Mashed Maple-Orange Sweet Potatoes recipe for the extended family. I’ve traditionally been in charge of the Sweet Potato Casserole, but I wanted to mix it up a bit this year and try something new and different.
I made these last weekend for my immediate family and everyone loved them because let’s be honest – how can you go wrong sweet potatoes, maple syrup and orange flavors?
The mashed sweet potatoes are creamy, slightly sweet, but not overly sweet and incredibly flavorful. I topped the sweet potatoes with maple roasted pecans and fresh pomegranate arils and that was the icing on the cake.
Rather than use butter or heavy cream, this recipe uses coconut milk as the liquid to get healthier creamy potatoes. There is also a ton of fiber and nutrients in the mashed sweet potatoes because you leave the skins on and mash them whole.
This would be the perfect side for any holiday meal, pair it with Roasted Ginger Green Beans and a Roasted Turkey with Smoked Paprika and a side of Cranberry Sauce and you’ve got a delicious meal for Thanksgiving.
Be sure to take advantage of the sale on sweet potatoes – just $.99/lb, and the hot buy one get one free McCormick spices sale at Safeway.
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes washed with skin left on
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 Tbs O Organics® 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp O Organics® ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbs pomegranate seeds
- In a large pot, boil sweet potatoes until fork-tender. Drain well and return to pot.
- Add coconut milk to pot and use a potato masher to get potatoes to a whipped but chunky consistency (A hand-held mixer would work as well). Add a little more coconut milk if needed to get the right consistency. Fold in orange zest and salt until evenly incorporated. Scoop potatoes into a serving platter
- Toast pecans on a baking sheet at 400ºF for 5 minutes or until they are a light golden brown. Remove from oven and pour maple syrup over them. Sprinkle on cloves and cayenne. Toss mixture together with a fork. Add pecans to the top of mashed sweet potatoes. Pour any remaining maple syrup from the baking sheet on top of potatoes too.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and serve immediately!
If you are looking for a more traditional Sweet Potato with pecan crumble topping recipe, check out my Ultimate Sweet Potato Casserole recipe here.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*