Ultimate Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
No Thanksgiving meal would be complete without an Ultimate Sweet Potato Casserole dish. I’ve tried many recipes over the year and have refined my sweet potato casserole recipe to maximize the sweet potato flavor with a delicious toasted and crunchy pecan crumble on top. This is so good, you might think it’s a dessert during the meal.
I’ve found many sweet potato casseroles are loaded with sugar, but I’ve tested using less sugar and determined that you really don’t need to have a ton of added sugar to have an amazing dish. I only use 1/3 cup of white sugar in the casserole and 1/3 brown sugar on the top for the pecan crumble. This way, you really taste the sweet potatoes rather than just a sweet sugary concoction.
I always make my sweet potato casserole the day before Thanksgiving and refrigerate without the pecan crumble. On Thanksgiving, I let the casserole come to room temperature while the oven is heating then make the pecan crumble and bake about 1 hour before guests arrive.
This way the crumble doesn’t get soggy and the dish stays warm in the oven while I prepare the other dishes. I like to roughly chop the pecans with a knife on a cutting board so that there are larger pieces of pecans in the crumble. Take advantage of the hot deals on brown sugar, eggs and pecans to make this sweet potato casserole for your Thanksgiving table.
If you are looking for a fabulous turkey recipe for your Thanksgiving dinner – you must try this smoked paprika roasted turkey.
Check out our other Thanksgiving meal recipes here:
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- 4 - 6 medium to large sweet potatoes peeled and sliced into 1/2" slices
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Put peeled, sliced sweet potatoes in a large pot with water to cover.
- Cook over medium high heat until tender; drain and mash in the pot with a hand blender
- In the same pot, mix together the sweet potatoes, white sugar, beaten eggs, salt, butter, milk and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth. Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish. If preparing the day before - you would cover and refrigerate at this time
For Pecan Topping:
- In medium bowl, mix the brown sugar and flour.
- Use a fork or a pastry cutter to cut in the softened butter until the mixture is coarse. Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until the topping is lightly brown.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we find and share the best advertised and unadvertised deals at Safeway with and without coupons. We also share recipes and weekly meal planning ideas based on sales to maximize your savings. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Stay updated on the best deals by following Super Safeway on Facebook, on Twitter, on Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. *