Mexican Skillet Lasagna
Savory sausage perfectly seasoned with Hatch chiles combined with Mexican seasonings, black beans, enchilada sauce makes this Mexican Skillet Lasagna a perfect weeknight meal option.
The end of summer in Colorado is known as the Hatch Green Chile season. Drive down Federal Blvd. and you’ll see a multitude of chile stands full of the fresh Hatch chiles being roasted on the spot.
Polidori, a local Colorado sausage company now offers those fresh hatch chiles in its new Hatch Green Chile Sausage now available and on sale at Safeway. Polidori is the oldest sausage manufacturer in Colorado that is still family-owned and operated, offering sausages since 1925.
Polidori has several varieties of delicious sausage links and bulk sausage available at Safeway, including Mild Italian Sausage, Chorizo, and Bratwurst. Additionally, Safeway carries the Polidori sausage single-serve links behind the full-service meat counter. The individual links include Andouille, Hatch chili, Chorizo, German Sausage, Hot Italian Sausage, and Mild Italian Sausage.
Polidori Sausage is gluten-free, sugar-free, made with all-natural ingredients, and contains no preservatives, nitrates, nitrites, or MSG. It’s a better sausage with phenomenal flavor and you can feel great about serving it to your family.
The sausage is bursting with amazing flavor from genuine Hatch chiles and all-natural pork sausage plus the perfect seasonings. It would make a perfect base for any breakfast casserole, homemade breakfast burritos, or this savory Mexican Lasagna Skillet.
Of course, you can also grill the sausage links or slice on the bias and serve with peppers and onions. Any way you like to prepare sausage, you can prepare the Hatch chile sausage – you’ll just get a fabulous green chile flavor in your meals. The sausage is slightly spicy – but not nearly as spicy as the Polidori Andouille sausage.
I received a package of the Hatch chile sausage and used it in a simple Mexican Skillet Lasagna recipe. It was so easy to make and the family gobbled it up and asked for seconds!
Rather than using ground beef or ground turkey, you can use pork sausage to make this Mexican Skillet Lasagna. It comes together in under 30 minutes and has amazing flavor, which makes it a perfect weeknight meal option.
Skillet Lasagna Ingredients
- Polidori Hatch Chili Sausage
- shredded cheese
- canned tomatoes
- canned green chiles
- enchilada sauce
- sour cream
- chile powder
- dried oregano
- corn tortillas
- fresh tomatoes
- green onions
- sour cream
Add these items to your Safeway shopping list for grocery delivery or pickup, here or by clicking the buy now button below.
How to Make Mexican Skillet Lasagna
Start by removing the sausage from the casing. I run a knife along the center of the sausage lengthwise and remove the sausage, discarding the casing.
Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and add the sausage, breaking into crumbles as you stir. Heat until fully cooked through.
Add black beans, green chiles, canned tomatoes, 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes until heated through and flavors become incorporated.
Dollop sour cream over the skillet and gently swirl into the meat and bean mixture.
Meanwhile, stack 5 corn tortillas and cut them into thirds.
Layer the tortillas over the mixture, then evenly cover with the enchilada sauce. Top with grated cheese.
Place the skillet into the oven under the broiler for about 4-5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Top with your choice of garnishes and enjoy.
What to Serve with Mexican Lasagna Skillet?
This skillet lasagna is a full meal, but if you want to serve with a side dish, I would recommend a simple Spanish or Mexican rice or a crisp green salad.
- 1 lb. Polidori Hatch Chili Sausage
- 1 15 oz canned tomatoes
- 1 4 oz canned green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 15 oz enchilada sauce, canned
- 5 corn tortillas
- 1.5 cups shredded cheese
- fresh tomatoes
- green onions
- sour cream
- Remove the sausage from the casing. Run a knife along the center of the sausage lengthwise and remove the sausage, discarding the casing.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and add the sausage, breaking into crumbles as you stir. Heat until fully cooked through.
- Add black beans, green chiles, canned tomatoes, 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes until heated through and flavors become incorporated.
- Dollop sour cream over the skillet and gently swirl into the meat and bean mixture.
- Meanwhile, stack 5 corn tortillas and cut them into thirds.
- Layer the tortillas over the mixture, then evenly cover with the enchilada sauce. Top with grated cheese.
- Place the skillet into the oven under the broiler for about 4-5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Top with your choice of garnishes and enjoy.
This is a sponsored recipe post on behalf of Safeway and Polidori to introduce the new Hatch Chili Sausage that is now available at Safeway stores. As always we appreciate and encourage your support of the brands that make this site possible.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Would you like to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, subscribe to our Instagram, or head over to Pinterest. Also, make sure to subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*