Citrus & Thyme Roasted Chicken Recipe
I just love it when whole chickens are on sale for under $1/lb. I always buy one for the dinner for the week and one for the freezer. For this Citrus & Thyme Roasted Chicken Recipe, you will need to spatchcock the chicken, which is actually super easy to do, you just cut the backbone of the chicken out and then flatten the chicken by pressing on the breast bone. You will then want to tuck the wings under so they are not sticking out during the roasting process. This allows for more even cooking of the wings and legs at such a high oven temperature. The combination of grapefruit zest on top of the chicken and whole slices of grapefruit in the pan while the chicken is cooking really enhances the flavor of the chicken and makes it incredibly tender and juicy.
I use the leftover chicken as lunch meat the next day and it makes for a delicious moist sandwich that my kiddos devour, and I’ll use the chicken on a bed of arugula or spinach and enjoy and fresh salad. If you don’t want to heat the oven, you could also use this recipe in the slow cooker, but I would add about 1/2 cup of liquid (either water or chicken broth) and slow cook for abut 6 hours on med/high heat. The oven results in a crispy skin, which you won’t really get in the slow cooker, but it will save your kitchen from heating up in the summer.
Whole Chickens are on sale at Safeway for just $.88/lb. through July 18th. Perfect time to pick one up and try this amazing recipe.
Citrus & Thyme Chicken
1. Preheat oven to 500°. In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme leaves and grapefruit zest. Set aside.
2. Rinse and pat chicken dry. On a cutting board, flip chicken onto breast. Using kitchen shears, cut out the backbone of the chicken. Place chicken breast side up. Press on breast bone until breast is flattened. Tuck ends of wings under the breast bone.
3. Rub chicken with olive oil and season with spice mixture. Place grapefruit slices and thyme on a rimmed baking sheet and top with chicken.
4. Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 475° and bake additional 15-20 minutes, or until internal temperature of breast reaches 155°. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
1. To store leftover chicken, remove meat from bones and place in airtight container in the refrigerator, up to 3 days.
2. A simple spinach salad would be the perfect side to serve with this tangy delight!
Watch a video, courtesy of our friends at Safeway for pulling this Citrus & Thyme Chicken Recipe together:
Super Safeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. *