Skillet Bourbon Steak Recipe
Prepare a steakhouse version of a boozy bourbon steak in a creamy garlic bourbon pan sauce at home for the ultimate weeknight meal in under 30 minutes.
Steak and bourbon go hand in hand in this delicious Skillet Bourbon Steak Recipe. Tender boneless sirloin steak is marinated with brown sugar, ginger, molasses, bourbon, and natural smoke flavor to impart a wonderfully sweet and smokey flavor that is sure to satisfy.
Soaking meat in bourbon not only enhances its meatiness but also helps create good char when you pan-sear it. The pan-seared beef is so flavorful on it’s own, but when you add a few simple ingredients to make a creamy pan sauce, you amplify the flavor profile.
I created this recipe for AdapTable Meals, using their new Smokey Bourbon Beef Sirloin Steaks, now available at Safeway. Because the steaks come pre-seasoned, that saves time in the kitchen since I don’t have to prepare my own marinade and wait for the steaks to soak it up.
With the kids in three sports this season, weeknight dinners are hectic in our household. I love skillet meals that I can prepare quickly and have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes. The kiddos loved this meal and ate up all the steak with “gravy” as they called it.
Ingredients for Skillet Bourbon Steak With a Creamy Pan Sauce
This recipe is so easy because the pan sauce is made from simple ingredients you likely already have on hand. Of course, you’ll need to buy the AdapTable Meals Steaks and here’s the short list for the sauce:
- Adaptable Meals Smokey Bourbon Sirloin Steak
- Broth (chicken or beef)
- Fresh or dried herbs including rosemary and thyme
- Dijon mustard
- Heavy cream
Ok, you may not have heavy cream on hand – but you can pick it up when you get the steaks to make this recipe. You’ll also want to choose your sides – I served with a simple buttered sweet potato and pan-seared broccoli, but you can serve with any side you like.
We’ve introduced AdapTable Meals beef and pork entrees in the past and now the brand has added a new Sirloin Steak option to their line at Safeway. Check out our complete review of the AdapTable Meals line here. The new Smokey Bourbon Sirloin Steak is fully seasoned with all-natural flavors including bourbon, ginger, and maple syrup. It’s delicious on its own, but oh so good with the simple pan sauce.
How to Pan Sear Steak
- Heat your cast-iron skillet to a medium-high temp. You want to ensure you get a good sear and crust on the steak and the heat of the pan is what creates the crust.
- Add a touch of olive oil to the pan and add your steaks. Don’t touch them for 5 minutes until the crust has formed and they are perfectly seared.
When cooking steak, use a meat thermometer and keep in mind how you want it cooked; medium-rare, medium, or well done. My personal preference is medium-rare or 145 degrees. Once the steak is cooked to your liking, remove it to a plate and cover with foil to rest. The temperature will rise another 5 degrees or so to 150 degrees, which is the perfect temperature for a steak. It’s the perfect amount of pink.
- 145F internal temperature for MEDIUM RARE
- 160F internal temperature for MEDIUM
- 170F internal temperature for WELL DONE
While the steak is cooking, you can chop your broccoli and pan sear it, or steam it if you prefer and microwave your sweet potatoes. You can also get all the ingredients prepped for the pan sauce.
Bourbon Steak Pan Sauce
Once the steaks are seared on both sides and cooked through to the temp you like, remove from the skillet and tent with foil. I like to combine the broth, heavy cream and dijon mustard in a measuring cup with some cracked black pepper ahead of time and mix well so that it emulsifies and creates a silky sauce.
Add butter to the pan, then add minced garlic, the fresh herbs (a sprig of rosemary and a few springs of thyme), the shot of bourbon, the heavy cream/broth/mustard mixture and scrape up the browned bits. Bring the sauce to a boil, then simmer until the sauce has reduced by half, about 2 – 3 minutes.
If you use chicken broth, your sauce will be a creamy off-white color, and if you use beef broth, your pan sauce will be a luscious brown color from the bourbon and beef pan drippings. I used beef broth and it started out a creamy off-white, and as it reduced it turned brown from all the yummy brown bits in the pan.
Add the steak back to the pan, or plate your steak and top with the sauce.
Skillet Bourbon Steak With Creamy Garlic Bourbon Pan Sauce
- 1 12 oz AdapTable Meals Smokey Bourbon Sirloin Steak
- 1/4 tsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 oz bourbon
- 1/2 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Heat a heavy bottom cast iron skillet over medium, high heat. Add olive oil and add steaks to sear. Cook 5 minutes on one side, then flip. Cook until internal temp reads 145 degrees on a meat thermometer.
- While the steak is cooking, prepare the sauce. Whisk together the dijon mustard, heavy cream and broth until well combined. Add fresh cracked black pepper.
- Once the steaks are cooked through, remove from the pan. Add butter, the fresh herbs and the bourbon to the pan and begin stirring the pan to deglaze and scrape up all the brown bits.
- add the cream, mustard and broth mixture and bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and continue cooking until the sauce has reduced by half and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add steaks back to pan, or plate the steaks and top with the creamy garlic bourbon sauce.
Side dish pairing suggestions for getting dinner on the table in 15 – 30 minutes with AdapTable Meals Steaks
- Quick cook rice or quinoa
- Boiled new potatoes
- Salad kits with all the fixings
- Grilled or roasted veggies from Safeway’s fresh-cut section in the produce department
- Pasta or egg noodles
- Tortellini or ravioli
- Microwave or instant pot baked potato or sweet potato
- Steamed broccoli, cauliflower or frozen vegetable medley
Pick up the new AdapTable Meals Sirloin Steaks at your local Safeway in the meat department. You’ll find them on sale for $6.99 now through September 29th. Pair the sale with a new printable coupon for $1.00 off and you can get 2 6 oz sirloin steaks for just $5.99! What an awesome value!
- AdapTable Meals Sirloin Steaks 12 oz on sale for $6.99 through September 29th
- Print and use $1.00 off 1 AdapTable Meals Coupon
- Final Price = $5.99
This is a sponsored post on behalf of AdapTable Meals to introduce you to the new packaged meat products now available at your local Safeway. As always opinions are my own. We appreciate and encourage your support of the brands that make this site possible. Read more about AdapTable meals on their website.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*