Berry Smoothie Bowl
Lately, I’m obsessed with smoothie bowls. The concept is so simple, yet delicious and packed full of nutrients. A smoothie bowl is a frozen smoothie eaten with a spoon with any variety of toppings like fresh fruit, nuts, granola, chia seeds, coconut, etc. This Berry Smoothie Bowl combines Greek Yogurt (or Icelandic, if you prefer) with nut butter, ground flaxseeds, and frozen berries to yield a creamy, yet thick smoothie that you can have for breakfast, lunch, a snack or even dessert. Take advantage of the hot deals on fresh and frozen berries and yogurts at Safeway this week and make your own smoothie bowl!
Finish the bowl in style with flavorful toppings. Sweeten it up with fresh fruit like berries and bananas; get crunchy with coconut, almonds, walnut or pumpkin seeds; dial up the essential nutrients with chia or flax seeds or add some chew from dried fruit like goji berries, raisins or dried cherries.
Check out some of the healthy benefits from this bowl:
Almond butter offers cardiovascular benefits because of its fiber and fat content. Each serving of almond butter contains 18 grams of fat, made up primarily of unsaturated fatty acids. These fats improve your blood cholesterol levels to combat cardiovascular disease and also provide energy.
Blueberries are packed with antioxidants, called anthocyanins, that may help keep memory sharp as you age, and raspberries contain ellagic acid, a compound with anti-cancer properties.
All berries are great sources of fiber, a nutrient important for a healthy digestive system.
Flaxseeds contain healthy omega-3 essential fatty acids that are good for your heart and lots of fiber.
So, while you may feel like you are eating a dessert, you are getting a ton of nutritional benefits from this berry smoothie bowl.
The Best Berry Smoothie Bowl
- 2/3 cup vanilla non-fat Greek yogurt non-fat plain Greek yogurt can be substituted
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 Tbs natural-style nut butter i.e. almond butter or peanut butter, cashew butter or sunflower butter
- 1 Tbs ground flax seed
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey optional
- 1/8 tsp coconut or vanilla extract optional
- Fresh berries
- Nuts or seeds toasted almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, etc.
- Coconut unsweetened, toasted or untoasted
- 1. Add the yogurt, frozen berries, nut butter, and ground flaxseed, along with maple syrup/honey and extract if desired, to a mini sized food processor or similar. Cut any large strawberries in half or quarters so it blends easier.
- 2. Pulse to blend the mixture, just until smooth.
- 3. Use a spatula or spoon to scoop the mixture into a bowl and add toppings as desired. Enjoy immediately!
If you try this bowl, let us know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a picture #SuperSafeway on Instagram! We’d love to see your smoothie bowls in action.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. *