Greek Chickpea Salad
Fresh, lemony, salty, crunchy and delicious, this Greek Chickpea Salad will transform you to the Mediterranean with the first bite.
Imagine sitting at a seaside tavern, the warm, humid Mediterranean Sea air bellowing around you, the turquoise blue waves crashing below. Fuschia Bougainvillea descending from the whitewashed walls of the village homes and taverns. Greece at its finest, on the islands.
While we can’t travel to Greece at the moment, you can recreate a delicious Greek salad, reminiscent of any Horiatiki Salata at home. Horiatiki Salata, translated as Village Salad is what you will find at every tavern across the country. Fresh vine tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers, and bell peppers, briny olives, and salty feta cheese make up a traditional Greek Salad.
Notice, there is no mention of lettuce, that’s because there is no lettuce in a traditional Greek salad. Just fresh crunchy veggies, salty feta and olives, and fresh herbs.
The dressing is made up of the most simple, yet flavorful ingredients – high quality extra virgin olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, dried oregano,
I added fresh dill, which grows wild in the village gardens and is used for everything from Greek salads to dolmades to spanakopita in Greece. The addition of chickpeas adds great texture and protein to the salad.
The chickpeas may not be traditional, but everything else about the Greek salad is absolutely authentic.
Safeway has a hot deal on English cucumbers and red, orange, and yellow bell peppers this week – just $1.00 each. Additionally, Signature SELECT Extra Virgin Olive is on sale for $3.99 for a 16 oz bottle. Nature Sweet Cherry Tomatoes on the vine are also on sale – just $3.00 for a 16 oz container – the tomatoes have been so incredibly sweet and delicious – be sure to pick some up to make this salad.
Ingredients in Greek Salad
This Greek Chickpea salad was the first thing that came to mind when I brought home the fresh veggies. Our family cannot get enough of Greek Salad, and I serve it almost weekly.
- English cucumbers
- Kalamata olives
- red, green, yellow or orange bell peppers
- red onion
- fresh dill
- feta cheese
- salt and pepper
- dried oregano
- canned chickpeas
How to Make a Greek Salad
Chop the cucumbers into a 1/2 inch dice, halve the cherry tomatoes, halve the Kalamata olives, slice the red bell peppers and onions.
Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl or serving platter. Toss with feta cheese and fresh chopped dill.
Combine olive oil and lemon juice, salt and pepper in a mason jar and shake or whisk vigorously to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad just before serving and top with dried oregano. Mix to combine.
Serve with grilled pita bread.
Greek Chickpea Salad
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 English cucumber diced into 1/2" pieces
- 1 cup Kalamata olives halved
- 2 red green, yellow or orange bell peppers sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh dill chopped
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas garbanzo beans
- 4 oz feta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- chop the cucumbers into a 1/2 inch dice, halve the cherry tomatoes, halve the Kalamata olives, slice the red bell peppers
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl or servings platter. Toss with feta cheese, fresh chopped dill.
- Combine olive oil and lemon juice, salt and pepper in a mason jar and shake or whisk vigorously to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad and top with dried oregano. Mix to combine.
- Serve with grilled pita bread.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. *