Pan Seared Steelhead Trout Recipe
If you are looking to expand your seafood pallet beyond salmon, consider steelhead trout.
Steelhead Trout is a medium-textured fish, and its flesh color and taste is similar to salmon, making it a good substitute in salmon recipes. According to the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch, Steelhead Trout farmed in the United States is one of the healthiest types of seafood you can eat. Read more about the Seafood Watch program and Safeway’s seafood sustainability program here.
Health Benefits of Steelhead Trout:
Steelhead Trout is rich in lean protein, vitamins, minerals and omega-3 fatty acids while containing low level of contaminants like mercury, pesticides, dioxin and polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs.
Steelhead is one of the best fish to grill, and also tastes great broiled, pan-seared or roasted. I enjoy steelhead trout simply with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice or with a lime butter sauce.
How to cook Steelhead Trout – Recipe using Mango Avocado Salsa
Check out the recipe below that I made last weekend using Steelhead Trout fillets. The recipe is incredibly simple and a perfect alternative to fish sticks for a Lenten Friday meal. It takes the same amount of time to make this “gourmet-style” trout recipe as it does to roast fish sticks and trust me, this is healthier and has a much better flavor profile!
You start by pan searing the trout in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. While the fish is cooking, you can quickly assemble the salsa. It’s super simple – mango, avocado, red onion, lime juice and zest and a bit of jalapeno for an extra kick. I also used a touch of fresh parsley for extra flavor. You can use cilantro if you prefer. If you don’t like jalapeno, you can leave it out. Season the salsa with salt, pepper and drizzle with a little olive oil and it’s ready to top the fish.
Pan Seared Steelhead Trout With Mango Avocado Salsa
- 2 5 oz steelhead trout fillets
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Mango Avocado Salsa
- 1 mango, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 avocado, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp jalapeno, minced
- 1 tbsp diced red onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp fresh chopped parsley or cilantro
- Heat a non-stick skillet to medium high heat. Rub olive oil over the trout fillets and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the trout fillets into the hot pan and cook for 5 minutes on each side. If the trout has a skin, be sure to place the trout skin side down first to ensure you get a crispy skin.
- While the trout is cooking, assemble the salsa by chopping the mango, and avocado, dicing the red onion and parsley and mincing the jalapeno. Combine mango, avocado, red onion, jalapeno, and parsley and add the zest and juice of one lime, plus 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate the trout, top with fresh mango avocado salsa.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*