Scallop Scampi Recipe
Succulent scallop pieces are tossed in a garlic, butter and white wine sauce served over angel hair pasta with lemon and tomatoes in this delicious scallop scampi recipe.
If you love scallops but hate the expensive price tag, try scallop pieces, now available at Safeway. While not every scallop can make it into the Open Nature Whole Wild Scallops bag, some scallops just don’t make it out of the shell whole.
Rather than discard those pieces, Safeway sells a bag of scallop pieces for a fraction of the price of the whole scallops.
These scallop pieces are perfect for adding to pasta, risotto, or serving over a salad for a quick and healthy seafood meal! Also perfect for Lent!
Safeway is now carrying the scallop pieces in the seafood department.
I have purchased the scallop pieces several times over the years and find each bag has a mix of sizes – some big, some small. This is an important distinction because you don’t want to assume you’ll get gorgeous whole seared scallops out of the bag.
Scallop Scampi with pasta is a great dish for scallop pieces because they take on the wonderful garlic, lemon flavors of the sauce and get tossed into the pasta where you’ll get a delicious taste of scallop in every bite!
- scallop pieces
- cherry tomatoes
- angel hair pasta
How to Cook Scallop Scampi
To prepare the scallop scampi recipe, first thaw the frozen scallop pieces in a bowl filled with cold water. Drain the water and pat the scallops dry with a paper towel so that they sear properly in the skillet.
You’ll heat oil and butter in a skillet and add the scallop pieces to a medium-hot pan so that they get seared. Next, add garlic, white wine, and lemon juice as well as chopped cherry tomatoes and you’ll reduce the sauce by half to intensify the lemon garlic flavor and to burn off any alcohol flavor from the wine.
I served dinner with grated Primo Taglio Parmigiano Reggiano and even my kiddos loved the scallops and the sauce.
They were licking their plates clean of the last bits of sauce, which is the highest compliment I can receive because I know they really liked it when they do that!
Of course, I don’t encourage that and hope they never do it in public.
Additional Recipes for Scallops and Scallop Pieces
Pan-Seared Scallops With Sweet Corn and Poblano Chiles
How to Make Pan-Seared Scallops
Seafood Grilling Guide and 5 McCormick Grill Mates Recipes for Grilled Salmon, Scallops, Shrimp, and Tuna
Scallop Scampi Recipe
- Kosher salt
- 1 lb angel hair pasta
- 1 lb sea scallops or scallop pieces
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus zest
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pat the scallops dry, then season with salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil and butter to skillet and and cook the scallops until golden on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn the scallops and add the garlic and chopped tomatoes; cook until the garlic is fragrant 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and wine and bring to a boil. Cook until the sauce is reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and transfer to the skillet (or a large serving bowl if the skillet is not large enough). Toss with the scallops and sauce; garnish with parsley and lemon
Be sure to pin this recipe for later here. If you prepare any of the recipes we share, be sure to tag us on Instagram for a chance to be featured!
This is a sponsored post and as always opinions are our own. We appreciate you supporting the brands that make this site possible.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. *
4 thoughts on “Scallop Scampi Recipe”
When do you add the tomatoes?
sorry – at the same time as the garlic. I’ll update the recipe to reflect that. Thanks for catching the miss!
Very good. A little too much lemon. I would probably use 1 Tbsp instead of 2 and added some slap ya mama for flavourful heat. Thank you for the recipe. Really enjoyed it.
Thank you for trying it and letting us know your thoughts!