How to Make Pan-Seared Scallops
Getting a perfect sear on pan-seared scallops requires a bit of technique, but once mastered, you will get perfectly seared scallops every time.
The key to perfectly seared scallops is to pat them dry first – the dryer, the better, as any liquid that seeps out from the scallops when cooking will cause the scallops to steam, rather than sear.
The temperature of the pan should also be hot – you only add scallops to a hot pan to get the gorgeous sear with a buttery interior.
Scallops cook quickly – so once the pan is hot, heat the oil, then add the seasoned scallops. They only need 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Safeway sells two kinds of scallops under the Open Nature brand. Madagascar bay scallops are small/medium-sized scallops harvested by divers by hand from the Madagascar Bay which is a 31-mile-long bay off the Mexican coast of the Baja Pennisula, and Open Nature North Atlantic Wild-caught Colossal Scallops. The scallops meet Safeway’s strict sustainability requirements for seafood.
How to Pan Sear Scallops
- Rinse scallops
- Dry scallops thoroughly on paper towels. Scallops must be dry before searing to prevent steaming
- Heat the pan to medium-high heat before adding the oil
- Allow the oil to heat up to medium-high heat
- Season scallops with salt and pepper
- Add scallops to heated oil in pan and sear until a golden crust is formed – 2-3 minutes, then flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes on the other side
Pan Seared Scallops
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil divided
- 12 large sea scallops
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- squeeze of lemon juice optional
- Rinse scallops and pat dry with paper towels. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat a sauté pan on medium-high heat. Add half of the oil. When tiny wisps of smoke appear, add 6 scallops to the pan.
- Cook 2-3 minutes to form a deep golden crust. Flip to the other side and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cook additional scallops.
- Top with freshly squeezed lemon juice and serve.
Additional Scallop Recipes
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.