Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe
Stuffed acorn squash filled with quinoa, apples, chicken and apple sausage, sage, and warming fall spices and flavors is a comforting and colorful dish loaded with healthy and delicious flavors.
As we prepare for Thanksgiving in just a few weeks, I wanted to share this wonderful stuffed acorn squash recipe that you can make for the special day or any day.
One of the things I love most about fall is the variety of seasonal fruits and vegetables like winter squash that allow you to savor the season. This gluten-free stuffed acorn squash recipe has an amazing fall flavor profile with earthy sage, savory squash and it’s full of healthy carbs like quinoa and dried fruit and nuts to help keep you full longer.
How to Prepare Stuffed Acorn Squash
Start by roasting the prepared squash on a baking sheet for 30 minutes until it’s soft and tender. While the squash is roasting, you can prepare the stuffing. Saute onion and zucchini and add to it the chicken and apple sausage until browned for an amazing flavor combination.
Open Nature, sold exclusively at Safeway and Albertsons stores, has several natural sausage combinations and the chicken and apple sausage flavored sausage is one of our favorites. I serve it alongside cinnamon apples and wild rice, but in this recipe, it’s sliced into small pieces and browned to give great texture and protein to the stuffed acorn squash.
Once the sausage and veggies are cooked through, remove them from the pan and add the chicken broth and quinoa to cook through. Once the quinoa is cooked, fluff it with a fork and mix in the sausage and vegetable mixture as well as any dried fruit and pecans.
Remove the squash from the oven and stuff with the prepared quinoa, vegetable, and sausage mixture, and bake again for 15 minutes until it’s heated through and the nuts are toasted.
This is a perfect Sunday night dinner option and an even better option to serve at Thanksgiving. Not only is the presentation gorgeous – the flavors are amazing and you’ll have everyone asking for the recipe.
Take advantage of the sales on acorn squash – just $.99/lb., dried cranberries, pecans, broth, and fresh herbs to add this meal to your meal plan this week.
You can easily make this dish vegan or vegetarian by eliminating the sausage or replacing it with chopped mushrooms and substituting vegetarian broth for the chicken broth.
Gluten Free Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 2 acorn squash sliced in half and seeds removed
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 medium apple diced
- 2 Open Nature® Chicken & Apple sausages cut lengthwise, then sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic grated
- 2 cups O Organics® chicken broth
- 1 cup O Organics® quinoa
- 1 tsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp chopped O Organics® fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup dried fruit such as a mix of cranberries or apricots
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Brush each squash with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place squashes cut-side down on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes, until squash is tender and edges are golden brown.
- In a pot sprayed with cooking spray and heated to medium-high, sauté chopped onion for 7 minutes. Add sausage and zucchini, sautéing until well-browned. Add garlic, sage, and rosemary, sautéing one more minute. Move sausage and vegetable mixture to a plate and cover with foil. Set aside.
- Add broth and quinoa to the empty pot and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and cook 15 minutes, until quinoa is done. Fluff with a fork, and fold in sausage and vegetable mixture. Fold in parsley, dried fruit and pecans.
- Fill the squash halves with the quinoa mixture, dividing it equally. Put stuffed squashes back into the oven at 400ºF for 15 minutes. Remove and serve immediately!
Additional Squash Recipes
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*