Green Chile Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
Tender, juicy chicken simmering in aromatic spices and green chiles make the perfect Green Chile Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos for an easy weeknight meal the whole family will enjoy.
Now that winter sports are in full swing, the craziness resumes with after school sports and activities, which means I need to plan ahead and have dinner ready by 4:30 so that the kids can make a plate before and/or after their activities. This green chile slow cooker chicken taco recipe is the easiest recipe to make ahead have ready when the kiddos are home from school.
As much as we enjoy sitting to a family dinner, this year there are quite a few conflicting activities that prevent that from happening 3 days a week, so these days will definitely be slow cooker days!
Take advantage of hot deals on boneless, skinless chicken breasts at just $1.87/lb., Lucerne Cheese for $1.79, and flour tortillas – buy one get one free to make these tacos for dinner this week!
Ingredients in Green Chile Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos:
The ingredients for slow cooker chicken tacos are super simple and you likely have everything on hand in your pantry and fridge, which makes this an ideal weeknight meal!
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- fresh chopped garlic
- chicken broth
- spices including chili powder, paprika, ground cumin, salt, pepper and bay leaves
- chopped green chiles
You’ll also need tortillas, avocados, cheese, lime, and salsa as a garnish. I used chopped cherry tomatoes and green onions because I didn’t have any fresh pico on hand but the recipe calls for pico or fresh tomato salsa. The lime juice adds brightness and zesty freshness to the dish.
This is also a fabulous meal prep option for packing in a lunch. I pack the tortillas separately from the chicken and salsa so that they don’t get soggy.
Meal Planning With Sale Ingredients
I always plan my meals around the meat sales at Safeway. If you are new to meal planning – be sure to read all about how to meal plan here.
This week boneless, skinless chicken breasts and thighs are on sale for $1.87/lb.
I used 3 of the chicken breasts for this slow cooker chicken taco recipe and I’ll use the other 3 breasts to make my grilled chicken gyros recipe tomorrow.
This way I have two totally different recipes using chicken!
If you have leftover shredded chicken – you can use it to make cheesy chicken enchiladas or burrito bowls later in the week.
Green Chile Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- 1 cup low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 8 oz can chopped green chile peppers
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. ground smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb. raw chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 8 (6-inccorn or flour tortillas warm
- 1 cup pico de gallo or fresh tomato salsa
- 1 medium ripe avocado sliced
- 1 medium lime cut into 4 wedges
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Place chicken broth, garlic, green chiles, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, bay leaves, and chicken in a 3-quart slow cooker; mix well and cover. Cook on high for 2½ to 3 hours (or on low for 4 to 5 hours), or until chicken is tender.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks.
- Evenly divide chicken between 8 tortillas. Top evenly with pico de gallo, avocado, lime juice, and cilantro; serve immediately.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Would you like to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, subscribe to our Instagram, or head over to Pinterest. Also, make sure to subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*