Pan-Seared Pork Chops Recipe
Tender pan-seared pork chops are perfectly seasoned with garlic and fresh herbs then seared in a skillet until browned and crispy. Serve with a savory pan sauce prepared with white wine, shallots, garlic, fresh thyme, and butter for a delicious weeknight meal that comes together in under 20 minutes.
Safeway has a fabulous sale price on bone-in pork chops right now, so I’m sharing with you one of my favorite ways to prepare pork chops, which is pan-seared with brown butter, garlic, and fresh herb pan sauce. Of course, there is a little wine in there for good measure.
The secret to this recipe is seasoning the pork with a little sugar in addition to salt and pepper. For whatever reason, this makes for a super moist and delicious pork chop!
I use a preheated cast iron skillet to prepare the pork chops on the stovetop and then finish it off in the oven.
After it’s done cooking, I make a pan sauce with the drippings, a few shallots, garlic, fresh thyme, and white wine.
I add the pork chops back to the skillet and let it simmer in the sauce and then pour the sauce over the pork chops when I serve.
It has become one of my family’s favorite pork chop recipes!
Additional Pork Chop Recipes
- 4 Pork Loin Rib Chops center cut
- 2 teaspoons sugar This is the secret ingredient for extra moist and tender pork chops, so don't skip it!
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons shallots finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Season each of the pork chops with 1/4 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper on both sides.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 450° F and heat a large cast-iron skillet over mid-high heat. Allow the skillet to heat up while you get the ingredients ready for the herb butter sauce. Chop the shallots and herbs, measure the wine and set aside.
- When the skillet is hot, add 2 tablespoons butter. Add the pork chops and sear quickly. Because there is sugar on the pork chops and we are working with a pretty hot pan, the pork chops will sear quickly, so keep an eye on them.
- When the chops are nicely seared on both sides, remove them from the heat and put the skillet right into the oven. Cook for about 5 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 140°F. Use an instant-read thermometer to check the temp. TIP: It is better to slightly under cook the pork than to over cook it. If you slice it and find it is under cooked you can always put it under the broiler to finish it up if needed.
- When the pork reaches 150°F, remove it from the skillet to a cutting board to rest for at least 10 minutes. While the pork is resting, work on the herb butter sauce.
- In the same skillet, over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter (if needed - if there is enough fat in the skillet you can use that in place of the butter) and add the chopped shallots. Cook, stirring, until the shallots begin to soften. This should just be a couple minutes. Then add 1/4 cup wine and allow it to reduce by half, about 1-2 minutes, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the pan. This is a tasty way to 'scrub' those stuck on bits. They add flavor to the sauce, and you'll be happy you scraped them up when you clean the skillet! Reduce heat to mid-low and add the fresh herbs with 1 tablespoon butter. The butter gives the sauce a delicious richness, so don't skip it this time! Allow the butter to melt into the sauce. Stir to combine. Give it a taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Remove from heat and add the pork chops back into the skillet, turning to cover in the herb butter sauce. Serve with the sauce and enjoy!
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*