Zesty Grilled Asparagus
Grilled asparagus is one of the easiest side dishes you can make using fresh seasonal asparagus. The next time you heat the grill to prepare meat, save space for asparagus spears and add them to the grill for the last 5-7 minutes of cooking time for your meat. They will be tender, slightly charred, and absolutely delicious.
I prepared grilled asparagus with a poblano stuffed chicken for dinner over the weekend and my son ate like 15 spears of asparagus to himself. He normally shies away from vegetables, but absolutely loves anything grilled!
Keep the asparagus from falling through the grates by skewering it first 2 skewers for 10 – 12 asparagus spears is perfect.
To prepare this grilled asparagus, brush with olive oil and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and then at the end f the grilling, top with lemon zest, parmesan cheese, and red pepper flakes for just a touch of heat. You will never go back to plain, boring asparagus again after you try this recipe.
Ingredients for Grilled Asparagus
asparagus – trim the ends 1 1/2 inches.
extra virgin olive oil – to help prevent sticking on the grill
garlic cloves – for flavor
salt and pepper
lemon zest – for a bright citrus flavor
grated parmesan – adds a delicious flavor to the grilled asparagus
red pepper flakes – for a kick of heat.
- 1 lb asparagus approximately 30 medium spears
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp lemon zest plus 1/2 lemon for juice
- 1 Tbs grated parmesan
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- Soak four to six 12-inch wooden skewers in water for 10 minutes. Preheat grill to medium (375º-425º). Remove tough ends of asparagus. Place 4 or 5 asparagus stalks next to one another and skewer them crosswise in two places: below the tips and about 1 inch from the bottom of the stalk. Continue adding asparagus until about 10-12 pieces are on the first two skewers. Repeat with remaining asparagus and additional skewers.
- Combine olive oil and garlic. Brush both sides of skewered asparagus, then season with salt and pepper. In a separate dish, combine lemon zest, Parmesan and red pepper flakes.
- Place asparagus on grill for 2-3 minutes. Flip, sprinkle with Parmesan mixture and continue to grill about 3 minutes, or until desired doneness. Remove from grill, drizzle with lemon juice.
Additional Asparagus Recipes
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we post a preview of the Safeway weekly ad and we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. We also highlight the best month long deals from the Safeway Big Book of Savings. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and coupon doubling policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*