Cheesy Beef Goulash Recipe
Savory ground beef simmered in a deliciously seasoned tomato sauce with cheesy pasta mixed in makes this hearty Beef Goulash recipe a meal for a constant repeat.
Goulash may sound like a funny name for this dish – but it’s a classic American dish that’s a perfect use of pantry staples like pasta, canned tomatoes, and sauce mixed with fresh ground beef. It’s both family-friendly and budget-friendly and doesn’t require an elaborate cooking process.
Take advantage of great deals on pasta, tomato sauce, and ground beef at Safeway to make this delicious and budget-friendly meal the whole family will love!
What is Goulash?
Goulash is a soup or stew of meat, usually seasoned with paprika and other spices. Originating from medieval Hungary, goulash is a popular meal made with paprika predominantly eaten in Central Europe but also in other parts of Europe.
This “American” version of goulash is not a stew and does not have paprika, but it is delicious and makes a frequent appearance on our kitchen table. Each time it’s prepared the kids always say, ” mmm this is really good, you should make this more often”. I call that a mom win!
How to Make Goulash
I’m all about simple these days and this recipe is just that! It doesn’t take long to assemble this easy cheesy goulash, but plan for adequate simmer time because you want the sauce to flavor all that delicious meat for at least 30 minutes. The longer it simmers, the better it tastes.
MEAT + SAUCE. Begin by sautéing ground beef in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until cooked. Add the onions and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
SIMMER. Stir this well; cover and allow to simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the elbow macaroni in a large pot of boiling water until al dente. Add the cooked elbow macaroni to skillet, stir well.
CHEESE. Turn off the heat, remove the bay leaves. Add 1 cup of shredded cheese right before serving, which will make the meal even more irresistible.
Ingredients in Goulash
Goulash is made with ground beef (ground turkey could easily be substituted) and pantry staples like pasta, canned tomatoes, spices, and tomato sauce.
- 2 lbs of lean ground beef
- cooked elbow macaroni
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 2 12 oz cans of tomato sauce
- 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes ( I prefer petite diced)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (or use a blend of dried parsley, oregano, thyme)
- bay leaf
- shredded cheese (cheddar or colby jack)
- fresh snipped parsley to garnish
You could always use a jar of prepared pasta sauce if that is what you have on hand, but the onions and garlic are a must as a flavor component, so don’t leave those out.
Cheesy Beef Goulash
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 16 oz elbow macaroni
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chopped onion (1/2 onion)
- 24 oz tomato sauce (2 cans)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes I prefer petite diced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning or use a blend of dried parsley, oregano, thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese cheddar or colby jack
- fresh snipped parsley to garnish
- Brown the ground beef in a pot over medium, high heat, stirring often to break up into tiny crumbles. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and cook until soft and fragrant.
- Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and the bay leaf to the pot.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the meat is cooked through and the sauce is reduced slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook the elbow macaroni in a large pot of salted water until al dente.
- Drain the pasta noodles then combine the pasta with the meat mixture and stir to combine. Top with freshly shredded cheese and stir to combine. Serve hot.
Can I Make Goulash in a Crockpot?
Making this American Goulash in the slow cooker is super easy. You will need to add water to cook the pasta in the crockpot.
Add 3 cups of water for the pasta to cook and follow these steps to make it in the crockpot.
- Saute the ground beef in a skillet until cooked.
- Put the browned meat in the crockpot along with the onion, garlic and remaining ingredients.
- Add 3 cups of water and the elbow macaroni
- Cook on high heat for 3-4 hours or on low heat for 7-8 hours.
What to Serve with Goulash
Since goulash is a hearty meal on its own, a simple salad or steamed vegetable goes great on the side.
For More Easy Ground Beef Recipes, You Can Try:
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. *