Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
I’ve traditionally made my chicken cacciatore in the slow cooker where it simmers all day in a delicious sauce and get’s super tender and flavorful, but now I’ve made it even quicker under pressure with this new instant pot chicken cacciatore recipe.
If you’ve never had chicken cacciatore, it’s an old Italian dish. Cacciatore means “hunter” in Italian, and to prepare something alla cacciatora refers to a meal that is prepared “hunter style.” In cacciatore sauce, you’ll find onions, herbs, tomatoes, and sometimes bell peppers.
Mushrooms and wine (red or white) are also common ingredients.
Take advantage of the hot sale on boneless, skinless chicken breasts and thighs at Safeway to make this delicious instant pot chicken cacciatore recipe for dinner this week.
About This Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
Italian chicken cacciatore usually uses a mix of chicken parts and is slowly simmered on the stove.
I wanted to make this recipe as hands-free as possible, so I opted for a healthy chicken cacciatore instant pot approach. Making chicken cacciatore in the instant pot achieves the same tenderness and depth of flavor as the slow-simmer method, with less hassle.
For the meat, I went for a boneless chicken cacciatore, preparing the recipe with boneless, skinless chicken breasts. The recipe would work equally well with chicken thighs. You can also make it with bone-in chicken pieces, though you will need to add to the cook time.
To make this easy chicken cacciatore healthy, I added a generous amount of veggies, including mushrooms, peppers and onions and served over zucchini noodles rather than pasta to keep it clean and low-carb.
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 1 lb
- 1 tsp kosher salt divided
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper divided
- 1 medium onion 1/2-inch julienne
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 green bell pepper 1/2-inch julienne
- 1 red bell pepper 1/2-inch julienne
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 14 oz puréed tomatoes half a 28 oz can
- 3 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- fresh basil
- spaghetti squash
- zucchini zoodles
- Turn the instant pot to the sauté function. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Once the pot is heated, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and let heat for 20 seconds. Add chicken and brown 1-2 minutes each side. Remove from pot. Add remaining tablespoon olive oil, onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, peppers and garlic, then cook for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together tomato purée, tomato paste with the remaining salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Return chicken to instant pot and place with vegetables. Pour in tomato mixture and gently stir to incorporate. Secure the lid. Select manual and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Once cooking is complete, use the steam quick release feature. Once steam is completely released, open the lid. Gently stir mixture and serve.
Check out additional chicken recipe inspirations for the hot sale on chicken here:
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we find and share the best advertised and unadvertised deals at Safeway with and without coupons. We also share recipes and weekly meal planning ideas based on sales to maximize your savings. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Stay updated on the best deals by following Super Safeway on Facebook, on Twitter, on Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. *