Creamy Garlic Lemon Chicken
A delicious weeknight skillet dinner – Lemon garlic chicken in a creamy sauce, all made in on skillet! This low carb chicken recipe comes together in just 20 minutes!. Use thin-sliced chicken breasts or boneless chicken thighs.
My family loves chicken, so I was trying to come up with a new recipe using boneless, skinless chicken breasts on sale and the flavor combination of lemon and garlic is always a hit in my household, so this creamy, garlic lemon chicken recipe was a hit.
Skillet meal options that are ready in under 30 minutes are my go-to meals on busy weeknights. That’s why I love this one-pan creamy garlic chicken meal. I like to serve with linguini so that the creamy garlic lemon sauce infuses not only the chicken but the pasta too, making for a fabulous meal!
Ingredients in Garlic Lemon Chicken Skillet
This recipe calls for thin sliced chicken breasts – you can either buy the thin-sliced breasts pre-cut at your local Safeway or cut a traditional chicken breast in half or thirds lengthwise to get the 1/2 thickness that allows for quick cooking in this dish.
- chicken breasts
- chicken broth
- lemon juice
- red pepper flakes
- shallot or red onion
- heavy cream
- parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
I adapted the recipe from The Kitchen, but added more lemon juice to mine because I like it really lemony and I also served over linguini because creamy, garlic lemon chicken linguini is fabulous together!
How to Make Garlic Lemon Chicken
Thinly slice your chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper.
Make the sauce by combining the butter, chicken broth, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes in a bowl and mixing to combine.
Heat a skillet to medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add the chicken to the pan to sear. Cook for 5 minutes on one side, then turn to cook the other side. Remove the chicken from the pan.
Add the chopped shallot or red onion to the skillet, cooking for a few minutes until it’s translucent. Add the lemon sauce and whisk to get all the brown bits from the pan incorporated into the sauce. Add the heavy cream and whisk to combine. Add the chicken back to the pan and cook until the juices run clear. Top with minced parsley and serve over linguini or with a side of steamed veggies if you are going for a low carb meal.
TIP: To ensure that the cream doesn’t curdle when adding it to the lemon and chicken broth mixture, remove the skillet from the heat before adding the cream. Slowly stir in the cream and heat through slowly, making certain not to boil otherwise, you risk curdling.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced shallots or red onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- chopped parsley
- parmesan cheese (optional) to taste
- Slice chicken breasts in half or thirds. If sliced in half, use a mallet to pound the chicken breasts into ½ inch thickness. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the chicken broth, lemon juice, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and allow to brown on both sides for 4-5 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the shallots or red onions to the skillet along with the lemon and chicken broth mixture. Using a whisk, scrape the bottom of the pan so all the brown bits are loosened. Increase heat back up to medium high and let sauce come to a simmer. Continue to cook the sauce for 10-12 minutes or until the sauce is reduced by 1/2.
- When the sauce has thickened, remove from heat, add the butter and whisk until it melts completely. With the skillet off the heat, add the heavy cream, whisk to combine.
- Add the chicken back into the pan and drizzle the sauce over the chicken. Cover the skillet and simmer on medium heat 5-8 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through, but do not bring to a boil otherwise you risk curdling the cream. Top with chopped parsley and grated parmesan (optional). Serve over pasta or with a side of steamed vegetables.
Check out additional chicken recipes your family may like here:
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*