Pico de Gallo Recipe
Pico de Gallo is a classic Mexican salsa recipe made using fresh tomatoes, cilantro, onion, jalapeno and lime. It’s a delicious salsa to serve with burritos, flautas, enchiladas, chilis and tacos.
Made with just 6 ingredients in 2 easy steps, you will start topping all of your food with pico de gallo especially in the summer! It adds so much flavor and freshness to any dish.
Also called salsa Fresca (fresh salsa), or salsa cruda (raw salsa). Pico de gallo is a traditional Mexican tomato-based salsa that does not contain a lot of liquid. It’s mainly used to top main dishes such as fajitas and tacos.
Take advantage of sales on tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, garlic, and cilantro at Safeway this week to make this fresh pico salsa.
If you are a non-cilantro fan, I suggest using just the leaves, not the stems, and finely mince the cilantro. You really can’t have pico without the cilantro, but by avoiding the stems and incorporating the smallest piece of the herbs, you get the effect without an overpowering cilantro flavor. Trust me I am normally anti-cilantro, but it’s a must here.
Ingredients in the Salsa
Pico is made with just 6 simple ingredients.
red, yellow, or white onion
jalapeno or serrano chile pepper
salt and pepper
How to Make Pico de Gallo
Making pico de gallo salsa is incredibly easy and nothing beats fresh homemade pico. Prepare the salsa in two easy steps.
Chop or mince all the veggies and mix together in a large bowl.
Squeeze lime juice and season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
Serve immediately or refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow all the flavors to become incorporated. Pico is best served fresh or slightly chilled.
Recipes Using Pico de Gallo
Use pico de gallo as a topping for tacos, fajitas, as a dip for your favorite tortilla chips. You can even use pico de gallo in chile, or in eggs. See a few recipes below that would be perfect with pico
- 5 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 red onion diced (white or yellow onion can also be used)
- 1 bunch cilantro 1 cup, minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Making pico de gallo salsa is incredibly easy and nothing beats fresh homemade pico. Prepare the salsa in two easy steps.
- Chop or mince all the veggies and mix together in a large bowl.
- Squeeze lime juice and season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving to allow all the flavors to become incorporated.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. *