Red, White & Blue Fruit Popsicles Recipe
Homemade fruit popsicles are incredibly easy to make and they are oftentimes better for you because you control the amount of sugar and added ingredients that you use. These festive Red, White & Blue Fruit Popsicles are made with just five ingredients – watermelon, lemon, blueberries, coconut milk and sugar.
You can make these ahead of time for your 4th of July celebration you may be hosting. They take about 15 minutes to prepare each layer, but they need several hours in-between to freeze, so you’ll need to plan ahead if you are making these for 4th of July.
Be sure to take advantage of the hot deals on fresh whole watermelon from Safeway to make these homemade fruit popsicles.
How to Make Fruit Popsicles
Fruit popsicles are so easy to make. You can either use fresh or frozen fruit that you puree in a blender or use fruit juice.
Simply pour into the molds and freeze. When I make fruit popsicles for the kids, I don’t ever add extra sugar, but these special layered popsicles need a little sugar for the coconut milk and blueberries, which can be quite tart.
For the first layer of these red, white and blue, you’ll start with fresh-cut watermelon that you puree in a blender with a touch of sugar and lemon juice.
Add this mixture to the popsicle molds and add the popsicle sticks and freeze for about 3 hours to set. Just before removing the popsicles from the freezer, make the second layer which is coconut milk and sugar.
Freeze the 2nd layer for 30 minutes and then prepare the 3rd layer, which is the blueberry layer by pureeing blueberries with lemon juice and sugar and adding to the mold and freezing again for at least an hour, or even overnight.
Additional Fruit Popsicle Recipes:
All Natural Red, White & Blue Popsicles
- 4 cups Signature Farms® fresh cut watermelon bowl pieces
- 2 Tbs lemon juice divided
- 3 Tbs granulated sugar divided
- 1 13.5- oz. can Signature SELECT™ coconut milk
- 1 cup blueberries
- Add watermelon, 1 Tbs. lemon juice and 1 Tbs. sugar to a blender and puree until smooth. Remove foam at the top of the mixture. Carefully fill the molds about 2/3 of the way, leaving about 1 inch of room at the top of the mold. Add popsicle sticks and freeze for 3 1/2 hours.
- Whisk to combine coconut milk and 1 Tbs. sugar. Let cool in refrigerator 30 minutes. Remove popsicles and layer coconut milk, about 1/2-inch. Reserve leftover coconut milk at room temperature. Return popsicles to freezer for 45 minutes.
- In a blender, purée the following until smooth: blueberries, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon sugar. Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve. Whisk in a few tablespoons of reserved coconut milk to lighten the color of the blueberry mixture. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes before adding to the top of the popsicles. Return popsicles to freezer for about 1 hour. Unmold and serve.
Additional Red, White & Blue Recipes
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*