Spinach & Berries Salad
The ultimate entertaining salad, this spinach & berries salad will become your go-to for all spring and summer gatherings.
One of my absolute favorite ways to use berries is in a salad. The combination of sweet, tart and savory is a perfect medley, especially when you are using fresh seasonal ingredients. I’ve been making this salad for years and it’s always the hit of a spring or summer party and people are always asking for the recipe.
Spinach and berries are a great combination but add slivered almonds, chopped green onions, and fresh dill and you have a perfect salad! Some say the dressing makes the salad – and I have to partially agree, this dressing is a staple for me and I make a large batch often to serve over fresh greens and berries for lunches.
Be sure to take advantage of the hot deals on berries at Safeway this week to make this salad on the cheap!
The salad is inspired and adapted by a Junior League of Denver cookbook recipe that is actually the cover photo for the Colorado Colore cookbook. I made a few modifications to make it my own.
Spinach and Berries Salad With Toasted Almonds and Dill
- 1 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 1 pound baby spinach leaves
- 1 pound butter or Bibb lettuce chopped
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 8 oz fresh strawberries sliced
- 8 oz fresh raspberries
- 1/2 pint fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
To Prepare Vinaigrette:
- Combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sugar, garlic cloves, salt, pepper dry mustard and onion powder in a mason jar or food storage container with a lid. Shake to combine.
For the Salad:
- Begin by toasting the almonds in a skillet over medium-high heat for about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often until golden brown. Remove from skillet to cool once toasted.
- Toss the spinach, butterhead lettuce, onions, berries, dill and almonds in a large salad bowl. Add vinaigrette just before serving and toss to coat.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we slice and dice the ad and tell you the best deals at Safeway with and without coupons. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Want to stay updated on the best deals? If so, make sure to like Super Safeway on Facebook, join our Facebook group, follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. Prices may vary per location*