Pumpkin Apple Soup
Pumpkin and apples are quintessential fall ingredients. Combine them in a soup and you will enjoy the best of both fall flavors. This Pumpkin Apple Soup recipe is made with granny smith apples, 100% Pure Pumpkin puree and jalapeños for an added kick. This recipe is full of the fall flavors we know and love. You can either use a blender to puree the soup, or if you have an immersion blender, that works just as well to give you a smooth consistency with this soup.
Take advantage of the HOT deal on O Organics Pure Pumpkin Puree at Safeway – it’s on sale for $2.49 a can and when you use a new Just for U Digital Coupon for $1.00 off 1 can of O Organics Pumpkin, you’ll pay just $1.49 for organic pumpkin puree. be sure to also take advantage of the hot deals on broth – $.33 a can for the Signature Kitchens line with Just for U Digital Coupon or $.99 for the 32 oz O Organics cartons with a digital coupon.
Making Pumpkin Soup with Winter Squash
Many years ago, I was part of a soup recipe testing committee with the Junior League of Denver. There were many pumpkin and squash soups submitted and we triple tested every recipe and had tasting parties to vote on the winning soups. It was really fun – but what I learned is that there is very little difference in taste between pumpkin and butternut squash, especially in a soup. I personally love a roasted butternut squash or roasted pumpkin soup because roasting the pumpkin and squash gives an extra depth of flavor that you wouldn’t normally get in a canned puree, but when in a pinch, the canned pumpkin works to make this delicious soup.
See more great meal ideas based on sales at Safeway here.
Pumpkin Apple Soup
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 large granny smith apple peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 to 2 jalapeños diced into 1/2-inch pieces (remove seeds and ribs for less heat)
- 1 medium onion diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt divided
- 24 oz vegetable stock divided
- 1, 15- oz can 100% pure pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Preheat a 4-quart sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add coconut oil and melt. Add apple, jalapeños, onion and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Stirring frequently, sauté until onions are translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium and add 8 ounces of the vegetable stock. Let simmer until apples are soft, about 8-10 minutes. Carefully purée in a food processor or blender until smooth.
Return to pan over medium-low heat and stir to incorporate remaining vegetable stock, pumpkin, cardamom, maple syrup and pepper. Heat soup through, about 5 minutes. Serve.
1. This soup pairs perfectly with a toasted cheese sandwich. Use whole grain bread spread with a little Dijon mustard and topped with granny smith apple and jalapeño slices. Cover with sharp cheddar cheese and broil on low open-faced. 2. This soup is even better the second day! If the soup is too thick, add additional vegetable broth.
SuperSafeway is a blog devoted to helping you find the best deals at Safeway in the Denver division. Every week we find and share the best advertised and unadvertised deals at Safeway with and without coupons. We also share recipes and weekly meal planning ideas based on sales to maximize your savings. For more low prices, check out Super Safeway’s weekly ad coupon matchup page. Stay updated on the best deals by following Super Safeway on Facebook, on Twitter, on Instagram, or Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter.
* Please note – Savings information is based on Colorado pricing and the Safeway Coupon Policy for the Denver Division which includes Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota. Your market may vary. *